[SOLVED] memory ream read things or only transer data?

beka101

BANNED
May 3, 2021
hello, it's a really silly question, but does ram read files, etc. or does it just transfer the files? or the 2? and transferring files and bandwidth are the same correct?

Solution
hello, it's a really silly question, but does ram read files, etc. or does it just transfer the files? or the 2? and transferring files and bandwidth are the same correct?
Neither. RAM just stores data that the computer needs immediately. Something else handles reading the files from storage and reading the data from RAM to go somewhere else.

kanewolf

Titan
Neither. RAM just stores data that the computer needs immediately. Something else handles reading the files from storage and reading the data from RAM to go somewhere else.
That is not correct. Reading pulls data off storage into RAM buffers. The buffers are written out to the new location. How many layers of buffers and if buffers are copied can be altered by the design of the software.

beka101

BANNED
May 3, 2021
Yes, sort of.

Data gets 'read' from Drive A, into the RAM buffers, then read out to Drive B.

What is the genesis of this question?
What specifics are you looking for?
thanks for reply, it was just a doubt that I had, because I thought transfer rate or bandwitch whatever were different from reading, but with your answer I realized that they are practically the same thing correct?

That is not correct. Reading pulls data off storage into RAM buffers. The buffers are written out to the new location. How many layers of buffers and if buffers are copied can be altered by the design of the software.
My argument is that RAM is dumb. It's literally a data store. It doesn't command other storage devices what to do. Instead that's all done by the CPU or maybe more accurately a DMA controller of some sort. It's like saying a warehouse purely for storing product has the ability to handle customer transactions.

Or in another way, it's like saying I should be able to hook up the data lines of a SRAM chip to the data lines of a ROM chip and expect a coherent data transfer to happen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ram is just part of a store that is used by windows virtual memory as one part of its trick of pretending every process has 8 exa bytes of memory to use, even if you obviously don't.

It is also where all the drivers live, and its first place CPU will look if it doesn't have the data on its caches
The ram on the CPU is much faster than ram on motherboard so it only uses it if it needs to
page fault is if it has to look in ram for data
Hard page fault is if it has to look on storage

Windows sees Ram + page file as memory.

ram is used for reading and writing, as if there are any changes made to data by the CPU it is written back into ram before being written onto storage.

Reactions: FoxVoxDK

TRENDING THREADS