Memory recognized...not

markys

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Hi all, and thanks for reading my post (even if I'm new here :) )

I am requesting your precious help for a problem I couldn't solve by myself.

I built my computer last year with a kit of 2 sticks of 1 GB of OCZ pc2-6400 platinum revision 2. I recently bought 2 more GB of the same ram because of the insane prices on the memory (It bought it 4 times cheaper than my original kit, no kidding). When I installed them, my first surprise was to see that the bios only recognized 3008 mb of my ram. Some quick research told me to enable the "memory remap feature" in my bios, which allowed it so see the whole 4096mb.

And here comes the problem: when I go in the system properties, Windows tells me that I only have 2.00 gb of memory installed. I know that 32 bits OS have a limit of around 3.5 GB, but heeee... there's a huge step between 2 and 3.5. To confirm it was not because of this limit I booted a 64 bit Ubuntu LiveCD, and the memory was still 2 GB, while the bios can find 4.

I also tried many combinations with a third kit of the same ram, but it didn't help. I also tested every stick alone and they all work perfectly. Maybe the ram/mobo combo is incompatible, but it would be very surprising. Btw you can find my HW specs in my profile.

So that's it.. I am waiting for your suggestions.

Thanks

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
The memory remapping function is only to be used with a system that supports more than 4GB. 32-bit xp/vista do not. So you should leave it disabled

markys

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi/AP
2x 2 GB Kit of OCZ platinum rev2 (pc2-6400)
Asus Geforce 7300LE 128mb
2x Seagate 320GB, SATA2, 16mb
Antec TruePower 2.0 550W
Antec P160W
Thermaltake BigTyphoon cpu cooler
Chaintech 7.1 basic sound card

Ok so I disabled it, and my system recognizes the 3GB of ram. Is this really the maximum than a 32 bit OS an use? Also, can you explain why it drops to 2 gb when the function is enabled ?

Anyway, this is pretty much the max I can get so I'll leave it like this. Thank guys.

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
It remaps on a 1GB boundary. So if you drop just below the 3072MB barrier, it goes all the way down to 2GB and remaps from here, and you cannot see any of the remapped ram.

Your specific hardware configuration uses 1GB of the 4GB memory space for other things than ram, so...