Memory requirements with Thunderbird

Shad66

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,
I currently have 100mhz SDRam on my Intel BX system. I want to buy a Thunderbird system, but i have read that it is recommend that you have 133mhz CAS 2 memory. Is this true, do i need to replace my memory, even if it works at 133mhz CAS 3?

Thanks

G

FWIW I am running 2 x 64MB of CAS3 PC100 on my Abit KT7 with a TBird 800. All is well and I am happy. I guess I would be even happier with faster memory, but I am not sure if there's *really* that much difference in performance with the PC133. Perhaps otheres could speak to that...?

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you've got usable pc100 right now, stick with it. With DDR approaching fast, it just isn't worth getting pc133.
If you have to upgrade right this second, got with pc150.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Magus on 11/12/00 04:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

While your stick might work ok with the BX system, it might have problems with an Athlon system. See if you can tell the manufacturer. If it is quality memory then there should be no problem. If it is generic stuff then there might be an issue. Quality PC100 128MB sdrams are not that expensive right now. I just ordered a Micron PC100 128MB cas2 stick for $89 including overnight shipping.

agriffin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm running my Duron with 1 Toshiba 128meg stick and 1 el cheapo 128meg stick. I have no problems what-so-ever if I stick to the orignal clock settings. Once I start running things up I don't have a problem until I reach the upper 120's on the board clock setting. Even then the only game I had crash on a regular basis was Everquest and I think that has more to do with my old school TNT card not being able to handle the higher clock cycles off the AGP port.

Ultimately I think you just need to try it out. If it works...wooo hooo!!! More power to yah! If not, pick up a cheap stick of 133 and bide your time till DDR hits the market. Either way I think now is not the time to upgrade. With all this new hardware getting ready to slam into the market, I think we're gonna see regular SDRAM prices drop and cheap DDR chipsets appear. Hold off a few months and then jump in on a real upgrade!

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you could just <i>wait</i> for a few moments get the DDR. You'll never regret that. At least to me if I'm gonna get a new mobo without DDR support I would regret when DDR is launched.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!