Memory reseating causing crashes and nonfunctional USB ports

Barrels

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
I was cleaning my computer earlier and noticed that one of my ram sticks wasn't seated properly, even though it showed up in my task manager. I reseated it and started the system only to have it crash while trying to boot into windows. I took it out and put it back in, but now none of my USB ports worked. I took it out again and left it out now everything is fine. I need to know if it is the stick itself or the dimm slot. My specs are an R5 1600, gigabyte AB350M-HD3, GTX 1060 3GB, 16GB of Kingston Hyperx Fury Black DDR4 2133, and an Evga 600BQ PSU.

Solution
You can try using the culprit stick of ram in the known working ram slot and if the working stick of ram works in the culprit ram slot...? You may also want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
You can try using the culprit stick of ram in the known working ram slot and if the working stick of ram works in the culprit ram slot...? You may also want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard.

Solution

Barrels

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

thanks for the advice. it turns out that one of my 2 dimm slots is bricked, but I plan on saving for a new motherboard anyways. The good thing is that both sticks are still good. I also checked my bios and figured out that I was on the first version and updated it.