[SOLVED] Memory running above the speed cap - 10700 + H470

Sep 9, 2020
Hi guys,

I need your help on figuring out whats wrong and what to do with this situation, note that I have no experience whatsoever in overclocking so bear with me.
I have an i7 10700 (non-k) paired with H470 HD3 by Gigabyte.
As per the spec sheet I should only get up to 2933mhz on my ram but when I turned on XMP, my speed is set at 3000mhz.

https://ibb.co/Lxhbbj9

I've used it for a week or 2 before actually learning about the speed cap on the H470, tomy inexperienced eye, it feels and looks stable enough to actually leave it as it is but should I?
I'm just worried that I might encounter something later on since I'm running it above its limit.

If I turn XMP off it goes back to 2666, its not really a big deal for me but would be cool to get that little boost.

What should I do? TIA guys

Solution
The limitation that's talked about there is via the CPU - Which is the 'official' supported speeds. Technically, speeds beyond those are 'overclocks'.

I'm not sure on the boards, B460 limits RAM speeds, but H470 may not.
It may also depend on the BIOS revision - Where a newer BIOS revision may implement (or remove) RAM limitations.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The limitation that's talked about there is via the CPU - Which is the 'official' supported speeds. Technically, speeds beyond those are 'overclocks'.

I'm not sure on the boards, B460 limits RAM speeds, but H470 may not.
It may also depend on the BIOS revision - Where a newer BIOS revision may implement (or remove) RAM limitations.

Solution
Sep 13, 2020
Can you tell me if this is a good motherboard and if it gets hot (VRM) during a heavy load?
what is the highest boost frequency you have reached?
is the 10700 worth it?
Thanks