Memory running around 1333hz instead of 1600hz

ganiy.imran

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018
Hello,
I have a Predator G3-605 motherboard with bios P11-B4 (latest) 01/03/2014

This computer came with 8gb DDR3 of memory running at 1600hz (800-dual channel) according to cpu-z

I just upgraded to Ballistix Tactical 4X4gb (16gb) DDR3
It runs my game on higher setting without glitching or lag however CPU-Z is showing these sticks running around 666 instead 800.

I discovered a bunch of threads on how to fix this, all of which involve the BIOS and manually editing the frequency to match the rated frequency, however no matter what I do after accessing the BIOS (press DEL at logo), there are no options for that kind of editing in any tab, including advanced, and there is no way to show hidden settings with any key combination I have read about.

I read that it may be impossible due to manufacturer limiting. How can I get my memory to run at it's rated speed like my old memory?

Thanks for any help!
Imran

Solution
Make it clear.
1) First, if you buy the new retail brand motherboard, you may need the new OS, but you may try the method I added before. Here is the info again. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change Like go into the microsoft account, follow the step by step to reactive the win10 if you can. If you can't reactive the Acer version win10 on the new MB, you will need the new OS.

2) As long as you use the retail brand motherboard, don't matter which version window OS, you will be able to make the change in the BIOS.
Because your PC is from the OEM, Acer, usually the OEM will disable that feature. But you may check the manual to see, you can enable the intel XMP profile in the memory section or not. If you can't find it too, sorry nothing you can do. And crucial will set the RAM run at the lowest speed, you have to set the RAM to whatever the RAM specifications manually.
Here is from crucial http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-ballistix-configure

Or try reset the CMOS by remove the CMOS battery, after that check the RAM speed again, if you still have the problem, you may try other brand.

ganiy.imran

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018

Thanks, so it came by Acer with windows 8, and then I used the upgrade to go to windows 10.
How would that change the BIOS?
I thought the BIOS was tied to mobo itself. The G3-605 has a specific bios which doesn’t allow those controls.

If I get a different motherboard I will have more access I think

Usually the OEM pc, like your Acer, dell HP, etc, they made their BIOS to lock the oc features, because they don't want the custom to change, in case the custom will mix up the PC.

Yes, if you buy other retail brand motherboard, like asrock, asus, gigabyte, etc. you can make the change the timing etc. in the BIOS. But like I said you may need the new window OS, because you can't use the Acer OEM version OS in other brand MB.

ganiy.imran

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018

This is great info,
so are you saying if I reinstall windows using my current windows serial number I will essentially run into the same locked features issue? I need to buy a new mobo and a new copy of windows?

Make it clear.
1) First, if you buy the new retail brand motherboard, you may need the new OS, but you may try the method I added before. Here is the info again. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change Like go into the microsoft account, follow the step by step to reactive the win10 if you can. If you can't reactive the Acer version win10 on the new MB, you will need the new OS.

2) As long as you use the retail brand motherboard, don't matter which version window OS, you will be able to make the change in the BIOS.

Solution