Memory settings?

mmun_80

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Does keeping the ram to spd settings make it more stable/reliable compared to tested speed?Or should I let mobo decide the speed automatically by activating xmp.
I'm new to all this, any help Im grateful.

Solution
According to Intel's website:
Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) allows you to overclock compatible DDR3 memory to perform beyond standard specifications. It’s designed to enhance the gaming features built into Intel® technology–based PCs. If you like to overclock and squeeze as much performance from your PC as possible, then memory based on Intel XMP gives you that extra edge you need to dominate—without breaking a sweat.

Basicly its a fancy name given to overclocking... See OCing RAM on Intel machines hasnt been so easy in the past, they do not have a onboard memory controler so the motherboard has to take care of a lot of that, as well as their system clock speed is 133 compaired to AMD's 200... So you used to find that...

mmun_80

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks I think I will do that, but do you recommend activating xmp, is it same as overclocking. Sorry if my questions are stupid.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
According to Intel's website:
Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) allows you to overclock compatible DDR3 memory to perform beyond standard specifications. It’s designed to enhance the gaming features built into Intel® technology–based PCs. If you like to overclock and squeeze as much performance from your PC as possible, then memory based on Intel XMP gives you that extra edge you need to dominate—without breaking a sweat.

Basicly its a fancy name given to overclocking... See OCing RAM on Intel machines hasnt been so easy in the past, they do not have a onboard memory controler so the motherboard has to take care of a lot of that, as well as their system clock speed is 133 compaired to AMD's 200... So you used to find that Intels performed better at counting really fast, and AMD performed better at actually doing stuff cause it had 67 more clocks every second. (thats like 4 more RAM cycles per second) This is when Triple and Quad channel RAM started to really help Intel, they can boost the speeds of the RAM and drop the timing thus their memory disfunction became non exsistant.

Short version, Intel used to suck with memory intensive applications, like gaming, and AMD excelled at it. With the Quad Channel RAM and slightly higher overclocking Intel has made up the difference.

Solution