Memory shenannigans

Hi,

I have an old BX mobo, working fine until I take some of the memory out.
The memory is PC100, and is configured like this:

slot 0: 64 meg single sided
slot 1: 128 meg double sided (64 meg per side)
slot 2: 128 meg single sided.

Now, if I take the memory out of slot 2, I get all sorts of errors on
starting windows, like VXDLDR, NTKERN and VGARTD failing to initialise.

If I take the double sided stick out, leaving just the 64, it's fine.

If I have just the double sided one in, I get all the initialisation errors
again.

It all works fine with all plugged in, and in each combination, the POST
passes.

What gives? Is the double sided one broken?

Bob

jad

reset configuration data in the bios
also when changing the combinations are you using the proper slots for
the number of modules?

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> reset configuration data in the bios

Do you mean "load setup defaults"? I did not know the memory configuration
was stored in the cmos still. It works with some combinations without
resetting the bios though.

> also when changing the combinations are you using the proper slots for
> the number of modules?

If you mean always filled from slot 0 no gaps, then yes.

> "Bob Smith" <bob@bob.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an old BX mobo, working fine until I take some of the memory
> out.
> > The memory is PC100, and is configured like this:
> >
> > slot 0: 64 meg single sided
> > slot 1: 128 meg double sided (64 meg per side)
> > slot 2: 128 meg single sided.
> >
> > Now, if I take the memory out of slot 2, I get all sorts of errors
> on
> > starting windows, like VXDLDR, NTKERN and VGARTD failing to
> initialise.
> >
> > If I take the double sided stick out, leaving just the 64, it's
> fine.
> >
> > If I have just the double sided one in, I get all the initialisation
> errors
> > again.
> >
> > It all works fine with all plugged in, and in each combination, the
> POST
> > passes.
> >
> > What gives? Is the double sided one broken?
> >
> > Bob

jad

hi Bob,

In the bios there is a setting "Reset configuration data". yes it
can effect the way in which the MB sees memory, and more so on older
boards. The wording maybe different (not -load defaults-, although
that may help also). Your board may not have the setting, as I cannot
remember my last BX board. Have you the manual on the board? The older
boards were a little more picky about where and what density modules
go where.

> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > reset configuration data in the bios
>
> Do you mean "load setup defaults"? I did not know the memory
configuration
> was stored in the cmos still. It works with some combinations
without
> resetting the bios though.
>
> > also when changing the combinations are you using the proper slots
for
> > the number of modules?
> >

> If you mean always filled from slot 0 no gaps, then yes.
>
> > "Bob Smith" <bob@bob.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an old BX mobo, working fine until I take some of the
memory
> > out.
> > > The memory is PC100, and is configured like this:
> > >
> > > slot 0: 64 meg single sided
> > > slot 1: 128 meg double sided (64 meg per side)
> > > slot 2: 128 meg single sided.
> > >
> > > Now, if I take the memory out of slot 2, I get all sorts of
errors
> > on
> > > starting windows, like VXDLDR, NTKERN and VGARTD failing to
> > initialise.
> > >
> > > If I take the double sided stick out, leaving just the 64, it's
> > fine.
> > >
> > > If I have just the double sided one in, I get all the
initialisation
> > errors
> > > again.
> > >
> > > It all works fine with all plugged in, and in each combination,
the
> > POST
> > > passes.
> > >
> > > What gives? Is the double sided one broken?
> > >
> > > Bob

Hi

I have the manual, and it says nothing about reset configuration data.
There is only "load setup defaults" or the clear cmos jumper. I have had
bios that had "load bios defaults" and "load power on defaults", but not
this one.

There is also no mention of double density memory, although it does work,
and the 3 sticks come up as filling banks 0, 1, 2 and 3. The manual says
you can put memory in in any order.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:08:57 +0100, "Bob Smith" <bob@bob.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an old BX mobo, working fine until I take some of the memory out.
>The memory is PC100, and is configured like this:
>
>slot 0: 64 meg single sided
>slot 1: 128 meg double sided (64 meg per side)
>slot 2: 128 meg single sided.
>
>Now, if I take the memory out of slot 2, I get all sorts of errors on
>starting windows, like VXDLDR, NTKERN and VGARTD failing to initialise.
>
>If I take the double sided stick out, leaving just the 64, it's fine.
>
>If I have just the double sided one in, I get all the initialisation errors
>again.
>
>It all works fine with all plugged in, and in each combination, the POST
>passes.
>
>What gives? Is the double sided one broken?
>
>Bob

Leave it all plugged in as it was.