[SOLVED] Memory Slots Issue

May 20, 2021
So I have a Asus Prime Z390-A with a I7-9700KF. On that motherboard I was running my Samsung 970 M.2 in the top slot and decided to move it to the bottom m.2 which has a heat sync. After moving this m.2 and plugging the PC back in my computer failed to boot. The DRAM light was solid orange so i started trouble shooting. I started by taking out DIM 2 and the computer booted, I then took out DIM 1 and put DIM 2 back in and it booted. So this told me both of my memory DIM's were good so it must be an issue with the channels. I then put them both back in but in the other dual channel memory slots and it booted right up. So my question being to anyone, why would moving my m2 into another slot somehow mess up the dim slots in my motherboard to have this issue? My computer is working great now but this really is frustrating that it seemingly has messed up the board in some way.

Solution
a two stick dual-channel RAM set should be placed in DIMM slots 2 & 4.
whether this has to do with your issue, ??

read your motherboard user manual regarding M.2 layout and see which slots are being controlled by what;
PCIe, SATA, ect...
it should also state any disadvantages of placing drives in particular slots.

read your motherboard user manual regarding M.2 layout and see which slots are being controlled by what;
PCIe, SATA, ect...

Solution
May 20, 2021

PCIe, SATA, ect...
I had them in 2 and 4 before switching M.2 slot and wouldn't boot with that configuration anymore so moved them to 1 and 3.