Memory slow on MSI H77 G43 Mother Boards and bunch of weird things

kuantkid

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Dear ALL:

I am a greenhand on this issue and get totally lost:

1) I have a MSI H77 G43 Mother Board with Xeon 1230V2 CPU. I have two cosair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B at DIMM1&3 at first and an AMD card at first. Everything goes well, XMP is enabled and memory runs at 1600MHz.

2) However, after that I bought two 8G Kingston (KVR16N11/8) sticks and put then into DIMM2&4, and they say that they support 1600 native and do not need XMP. After that, I found the XMP option disappears in the BIOS and I can just manually set the option to 1600Mhz and everything is still fine..

3) And currently I need CUDA for gpu computation, I install the Nvidia Geforce 670 card into the first PCI 3.0(3.0 enabled) slot and add the AMD card to the second PCI 2.0 slot, the memory fails to work at 1600MHz but falls back to 1333MHz. I make it to work after I set the voltage to 1.65V. And ANOTHER wired things happen, every time after reboot, I need to go to BIOS and set the voltage again, otherwise, the voltage draws back to 1.5V, and 1333Mhz

My questions are
1. Why I install the Graphics Card, then the memory drops? I have a 550W power supply which I think is enough?
2. Is it safe to set the memory voltage at 1.65V?
3. Why I need to set the voltage every time I reboot?

As my task is always computation expensive(large matrices multiplication staffs), I need my memory to run at full speed.

Best Regards,

Xttony

Distinguished
1. I don't think 550watt is enough for running two video cards
2. It is high and you should monitor the heat of the cards regularly if you are choosing to use the cards at that voltage.
3. Your bios battery might have died.

Also try the things out
Disable xms
Put the corsair cards in 1,2 and Kingston cards in 3,4

kuantkid

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

@Xttony Thank you so much for your quick reply

1. I failed to explain another ATI card is quite low end, and do not need additional power :) I just use it for displaying.
2. Could you please explain why I needs to put cosair 1,2 and kingston at 3,4? I am suggested that same color DIMM have the same brand, so I am a little confused by this suggestion.

Xttony

Distinguished
Same coloured slots have same memory controllers. If that doesn't work try different combination by putting the cards in different slots. The thing is different cards generally don't work properly side by side.

I still don't think 550 is enough. Both Xeon and GTX 670 is power hungry.