[SOLVED] Memory speed compatibility

Simran Jeet

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
hey guys i'm not new to computer world but i have a question for a long time and even on the internet can't find a legit answer to this question so i'm here to ask the experienced and experts. So the question is, What if i pair a 3000mhz or higher ram on a motherboard which only supports 2133 or 2400 mhz ram will it downclock and work or it won't work ? as far as my knowledge goes it won't work on motherboards which does not support overclocking.

My Specs
Processor - i5 6500
MOBO - Gigabyte h110m s2
RAM - Hyperx fury 2133 8gb single
GPU - Palit gtx 1060 6gb
SSD - 750 evo 120gb
HDD - WD blue 1tb
Supply - Corsair vs 450
Case - Corsair 100r

Solution
the RAM will run at what the memory controller tells it to. in this case 2133 or 2400. the RAM should still work just at slower speeds.
Overclocking profiles will override the memory controller and allow for faster RAM speeds, without this the RAM will run as the memory controller tells it to

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the RAM will run at what the memory controller tells it to. in this case 2133 or 2400. the RAM should still work just at slower speeds.
Overclocking profiles will override the memory controller and allow for faster RAM speeds, without this the RAM will run as the memory controller tells it to

Reactions: Simran Jeet
Solution

Simran Jeet

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
even on low end boards or only on oc boards ?

So the question is, What if i pair a 3000mhz or higher ram on a motherboard which only supports 2133 or 2400 mhz ram will it downclock and work or it won't work ? as far as my knowledge goes it won't work on motherboards which does not support overclocking.
My Specs
Processor - i5 6500
MOBO - Gigabyte h110m s2
Will work at 2133mhz with your cpu/motherboard combination.

Note - if you're mixing different ram modules (modules not from same ram kit), they may require manual tweaking of ram parameters in BIOS or refuse to work together at all.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
It will run at either the max speed the motherboard supports or the max the CPU supports, whichever is lower. So if you have a CPU that supports up to 2933 MHz, with a motherboard that suppports up to 2400MHz, and you use 3600 MHz RAM, It will automatically self limit itself to the 2400MHz of the motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS