Question Memory Speed Difference

Sep 19, 2020
Hi,

Aida64 shows my memory running at 2666Mhz, however task manager shows 2400Mhz and CPU-Z shows 933MHz(which i understand to actually be 1866Mhz) why is there such a difference and is my BIOS limited to one of these speeds could that be why it is slowed down? It is a fairly modern laptop and it came with 2666Mhz ram so I would assume it should be utilised? It is Ryzen and as far as I understand faster memory speeds the better?

I have attached images as proof:

Images

Hope someone can clear this up, cheers

Hi,

Aida64 shows my memory running at 2666Mhz, however task manager shows 2400Mhz and CPU-Z shows 933MHz(which i understand to actually be 1866Mhz) why is there such a difference and is my BIOS limited to one of these speeds could that be why it is slowed down? It is a fairly modern laptop and it came with 2666Mhz ram so I would assume it should be utilised? It is Ryzen and as far as I understand faster memory speeds the better?

I have attached images as proof:

Images

Hope someone can clear this up, cheers
Aida shows memory speed it's made for according to it's JEDEC and XMP.
Task manager usually shows what speed RAM is set on at the time windows were installed.
CPU-Z should show what it's speed as of now.

What version of Windows are you running? Task manager is supposed to show the current memory speed but there are bugs in some of the latest versions of Windows 10 that cause it to report incorrectly.

Run this at command prompt -
wmic memorychip get speed

...and let us know what you get.