Memory Speed setting on BIOS

gwapings101

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Today I bought a Corsair Vengeance 4GB Single Module DDR3 Memory PC3-12800 (1600MHZ)
So I go to BIOS and saw that it was functioning at 1333mhz i tried it to set in 1600 but when I booted I saw a message that "This system has encountered boot failure due to overclocking" something like that, but I didn't overclocked before.

CPU: AMD A6 3500
MOBO: GA A55M DS2 rev 2

how can I set it to 1600 so I can achieve full speed? thanks!

Solution

The motherboard manual should have the relevant information.

You need to enter 6 values, which may be in different locations

1. The memory speed. Marketing departments love to *** around with this. The rating on the package will say "1600Mhz" but this is actually the transfer rate. Since this is DDR (Double Data Rate) the module makes two IO bus transfers per bus clock cycle. Thus, the actual "bus frequency" for that module will be 800Mhz, and the transfer rate will be 1600 MT/s (Mega transfers per second).

Your motherboard's system settings can express this a number of ways, it can...

gwapings101

Honorable
May 23, 2012

can you teach me how? i'm a noob at this kind of things. -.- thanks for replying! here is exactly what i bought

Corsair Vengeance 4gb

The motherboard manual should have the relevant information.

You need to enter 6 values, which may be in different locations

1. The memory speed. Marketing departments love to *** around with this. The rating on the package will say "1600Mhz" but this is actually the transfer rate. Since this is DDR (Double Data Rate) the module makes two IO bus transfers per bus clock cycle. Thus, the actual "bus frequency" for that module will be 800Mhz, and the transfer rate will be 1600 MT/s (Mega transfers per second).

Your motherboard's system settings can express this a number of ways, it can express it as the bus frequency, as the transfer frequency, or as the DDR3 standard. It takes a bit of a trained eye to tell the first two apart, but if it's expressed as a standard (it will be prefaced with DDR3-xxxx where xxxx is the speed) then it's easy to see.

If you see 1333, set it to 1600

If you see 667, set it to 800

If you see DDR3-1333, set it to DDR3-1600

2. You will need to set the DRAM voltage. That module operates at 1.5 volts and your motherboard should have it set at 1.5 volts already, but it doesn't hurt to check!

3. Now this is the hard part. You will need to set 4 DRAM timings. The module will automatically configure the modules to 7-7-7-21 or 8-8-8-24. You need to set them to 9-9-9-24 or 9-9-9-27 (preferably 9-9-9-24) for it to work properly at DDR3-1600 speeds.

The 4 values that you need to change, in that order, are:

CAS latency AKA CL

Row Address to Column Address Delay AKA Trcd

Row Precharge Time AKA Trp

Row Active Time AKA Tras

These can usually be found under the DRAM overclocking section of your system setup

Solution

gwapings101

Honorable
May 23, 2012

okay so while going into BIOS I saw

Memory Clock on 1333mhz then i changed it to 1600mhz
then at DRAM Configuration
i changed
CAS# latency, RAS to CAS R/W Delay, Row Precharge Time to 9 then Minimum RAS Active time to 24
that's the only things I changed.
Did I do it correctly?

Yes that should be correct

Give it a whirl

Great

Keep in mind that since it is technically overclocking it's not guaranteed to be perfectly stable. It's rare for DDR3-1600 to cause problems but it does happen from time to time. If you get any application crashes or anything like that, run Memtest and Prime95 to check for stability. If you get any errors, first try bumping the DRAM voltage from 1.5 volts to 1.55 volts; don't worry, this is perfectly safe.

gwapings101

Honorable
May 23, 2012

thanks for the tips! I'll take note of that. BTW off topic, do you know what is the safe overclock value of radeon hd 6530d that runs on 440mhz on default? thanks! :D

EDIT:

My motherboard manufacturer site says that
"Support for DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules"
could I OC my memory to 1866? haha. thanks!