[SOLVED] Memory Speeds --- does it really matter?

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
I want to build a new pc and found an upgrade kit on one website...

the only thing is that there are two different packages
both of them have:
Ryzen 5 3600 cpu
Asus tuf b450 pro Mobo
and 16 gb ddr4 corsair memory

the problem is that one package comes with 2666 mhz and the other comes with 3200 mhz

the price difference is about... 25 usd.

usually i would just buy the more expensive one reasoning that it'll be better... only after i buy my case and psu my budget is a little tight...

so what i want to know is, is the faster speed worth it for gaming?
(Just to let you know, I'm looking for a mid-range build (Bang to buck) not something that's insanely over priced and overpowered - something that will let me play modern AAA titles in 1080p with medium setting.)
so will the slower memory speed make my gaming experience noticeably worse

Solution
Hey there,

The short answer is, yes, it is worth it in terms of gaming, specially with Ryzen.

The difference between 2666mhz and 3200mhz, can be as much as 10-15% performance, in some cases even more. After 3200 there isn't as big of a boost to be had, more around the 5% mark. Ryzen loves fast ram. Whilst it won't make your experience worse, you will hardly notice the difference.

For example, if you are gaming at 100fps and the increase in performance brings it to 115 FPS. Will you really notice it? Possibly not. If you want your system to run at it's max performance then the faster ram is the best choice.
Hey there,

The short answer is, yes, it is worth it in terms of gaming, specially with Ryzen.

The difference between 2666mhz and 3200mhz, can be as much as 10-15% performance, in some cases even more. After 3200 there isn't as big of a boost to be had, more around the 5% mark. Ryzen loves fast ram. Whilst it won't make your experience worse, you will hardly notice the difference.

For example, if you are gaming at 100fps and the increase in performance brings it to 115 FPS. Will you really notice it? Possibly not. If you want your system to run at it's max performance then the faster ram is the best choice.

Solution