Memory & Stability

G

This is the first system I've ever built using "Premium Memory" (Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair, Kingmax, etc.). No crashes since I've owned it (3 weeks), except while experimenting with oclocking. I have been running this board at 139MHz with fastest settings using a 1gig T-bird 8*139=1112 as my normal settings.

I'm starting to believe that memory alone can have a big impact on system stability - but I can't back this up. I'd be curious to see results if Tom would run some mainstream boards through some benchmark test for stability with highend vs. generic ram to find out what impact memeory might have on stability. What do you think?

ABIT KT7A Raid; 1ghz T-bird; 256 MB CAS 2 Ram; VisionTek G-force 2 GTS 32 Mb DDR; SBL Plat 5.1

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree, memory can play a big part of how well your system runs. With such low memory prices and so many people going for the el cheapo 128MB stick of PC133 ram for $30, there is no wonder that so many people are having problems.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
$30 bucks a stick? Hmm just was at dell website to see what cheesy systems there putting together. They are charging $130 bucks for 128MB stick and I bet it isnt even name brand or CS2.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The cheapest price on www.pricewatch.com for a stick of 128MB PC133 ram is $34.
But I wouldn't buy that crap.

And yes the ram in Dell is expensive. As long as it is not Rambus, get as little ram in a Dell system as possbile and then buy your own elsewhere.
Of course this only applies to now. In two months memory prices may be sky high and the Dell upgrade would be cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS