[SOLVED] Memory standards and motherboard support

Clive Staples

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I'm thinking of replacing the RAM in my rig and I've never really understood the different memory standards shown in motherboard specifications. For example, on newegg, my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming 5) shows that it supports
  • DDR4 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666(O.C.) / 2400(O.C.) / 2133
At the time of the build I got 2133 because I wasn't sure what is meant by (O.C.) in the other standards. And of course it works fine but I want to upgrade from 16 GB to 32 GB and the Adata ones I'm using are no longer available, meaning all new modules. I realize I may be asking the wrong question entirely here, but I'm hopeful someone can point me in the right direction.

I would assume O.C. refers to overclocking in some way. I've never really OC'd my rig but always thought I might get around to it. Six years later....

Anyway, does this mean DDR4 3000, for example, is only supported if I make OC adjustments? Or does it refer to a specific type of memory? I think I've seen listings for DDR4 3000 memory without the "(O.C.)" so I'm not sure what it means.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
"Anyway, does this mean DDR4 3000, for example, is only supported if I make OC adjustments? "

DDR4 3000 is the memory type and the max speed the memory is good for.

In order to run it on your motherboard at 3000 you need to set that in the BIOS.

The (OC) you see....is generally only a motherboard spec that's basically saying you have to OC the motherboard to get this speed.
"Anyway, does this mean DDR4 3000, for example, is only supported if I make OC adjustments? "

DDR4 3000 is the memory type and the max speed the memory is good for.

In order to run it on your motherboard at 3000 you need to set that in the BIOS.

The (OC) you see....is generally only a motherboard spec that's basically saying you have to OC the motherboard to get this speed.

Solution