[SOLVED] Memory sticks of low (and different) frequencies + Ryzen 3000

Bloody George

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hi folks!
I just bought a Ryzen 3600 with a B450 mobo, and I'm waiting for both parts to arrive. I've got two sticks of 8GB HyperX Fury memory that I bought separately for my current Skylake setup. I just recently read that Ryzen 3000 CPUs don't go well with low-frequency RAM. The problem is, one of my memory sticks is a 2133Mhz CL15 one, and the newer one is 2400Mhz CL15. Both run at 2133Mhz because of the slower one.
My question is: is Ryzen 3rd gen so dependent on fast memory that I'll have a considerable drop in performance? I don't have the money to buy new memory right now, especially because here in Brazil it's so expensive.

Solution
what is your major usage?
I will just run it for now to see if you see any issues.
Yes, faster will be beneficial, however, impact varies depending on programs/games. Ryzen suffers more from single channel rather than slower dual channel, so keep running dual 2133. I will also try overclock ram since it may give you 2400 in the end.
Most everything faster that the stated speeds is considered overclocking so those are not particularly slow. I would be more concerned about the different modules working together when you get your new components. If not, then you could run it for a while with a single 8Gb module and save up your money to buy a kit containing two modules of the same speed.

what is your major usage?
I will just run it for now to see if you see any issues.
Yes, faster will be beneficial, however, impact varies depending on programs/games. Ryzen suffers more from single channel rather than slower dual channel, so keep running dual 2133. I will also try overclock ram since it may give you 2400 in the end.

Solution

Bloody George

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
@thx1138v2 Yeah, the issue with different modules is what worries me. But, if they don't really work together, I'll do what you proposed and wait until I can buy another HyperX one with the same specs as the newer, faster one.

@vapour My heavy use is mostly gaming and video editing. Those are the scenarios in which my 6600k was starting to show its age. The heavy games that I'm playing at the moment are Prey, Skyrim Special Edition, Dishonored 2, and Batman: Arkham Knight (which is the one that gets the strongest performance drop with the 6600k). Otherwise, I multitask a little bit and edit on Adobe Premiere Pro and draw on Photoshop.
I don't know if those are tasks that would be affected by lower RAM speeds that much.

Thanks a lot for clarifying these questions, guys!

Aug 12, 2019
Depending on the purpose you use. If you use text editing, you don't need to worry. But with your configuration you can still play some current games. You don't need to worry because the bus runs low

TRENDING THREADS