Memory Still Good?

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Hey, I'm going to be building a new computer here and I'm wondering if it would be fine for me to just switch over my memory from this computer to the new one. Now the memory I have is crucial 512x4 with timing 3/3/3/8 and it has been in this computer for about 2 years. Now I have had some problems with this computer, it has overheated a few times and I think I even burned my video card because it runs like crap now. Would it be safe to throw this ram in my new system if its potentially damaged until I can afford new ram or could it possibly damage the new system? Ohh and one more thing is 2/2/2/6 timing faster, or slower than 3/3/3/8, I don't quite understand this. Thanks for any help.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If the new board supports older ddr memory then yes you can.however,most new boards only support ddr2.But there is an ASROCK board that apperantly supports bothe ddr and ddr2.It also supports socket 940(for AM2)and socket 939.So this may be your best bet for the time being.Anyways goodluck and have fun.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hey, I'm going to be building a new computer here and I'm wondering if it would be fine for me to just switch over my memory from this computer to the new one. Now the memory I have is crucial 512x4 with timing 3/3/3/8 and it has been in this computer for about 2 years. Now I have had some problems with this computer, it has overheated a few times and I think I even burned my video card because it runs like crap now. Would it be safe to throw this ram in my new system if its potentially damaged until I can afford new ram or could it possibly damage the new system? Ohh and one more thing is 2/2/2/6 timing faster, or slower than 3/3/3/8, I don't quite understand this. Thanks for any help.
No worries, it won't hurt anything. It'll either work, or it won't. GL :)