gravitar

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I recently built a gaming system and have an i7 920 with an Intel DX58SO and 6GB of Corsair PC-1600 memory.

Everything seems to work fine and the system is fast but I get no beep on bootup. If I pull out all the memory I do get 3 beeps so at least I now the speaker works. If I put even one stick in one of the slots I get no beep but it still boots up fine.

Another thing is weird... I get no real information on the bootup screen. There's a cursor up on the top left for about 5 seconds and then it goes to an Intel splash screen telling me that if I hit F2 or F10 I can get to either the BIOS or Boot Sequence screen or whatever it's called. Other than that I don't know who the BIOS manufactures is(Phoenix or AMI?) or if it's running a memory test. Isn't there some info on bootup?

Another fellow said "computers are mysterious" and to leave it at that if it all works but it still bugs me.

Anyone have the same MB? What does your bootup screen look like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Disable the splash screen to see post information and here are the beep codes from your users manual

BIOS Beep Codes
The BIOS also issues a beep code (one long tone followed by two short tones) during
POST if the video configuration fails (a faulty video card or no card installed) or if an
external ROM module does not properly checksum to zero. Table 15 lists the BIOS
codes.
Table 15. Beep Codes
Beep Description
3 No memory
Siren Processor overheat (on reboot)

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
it's not supposed to beep, beeping means there is a problem, that's why it beeps when there is no ram installed.

to see the boot info go into your bios and disable the splash screen, should be under advanced or something like that

gravitar

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
No, that's not true. One beep on POST is normal. At least that's what I find when I google that subject. My other computers all beeped on startup.

I ran MemTest 86+ and it passed. I only ran it for an hour or so and will run it all night some night just to be sure.

I still don't see anything in BIOS to help me see the POST information at boot. I added a 5 second delay in BIOS but that didn't change anything. Something's amiss.

Maybe I'm missing something here. My BIOS is neither AMI nor Phoenix but is Intel? I've never had an Intel BIOS before, it is just different? Shouldn't I still get information at boot?

I flashed the BIOS successfully and also took out the battery and put it back in but nothing changed.

I'm confused.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Disable the splash screen to see post information and here are the beep codes from your users manual

BIOS Beep Codes
The BIOS also issues a beep code (one long tone followed by two short tones) during
POST if the video configuration fails (a faulty video card or no card installed) or if an
external ROM module does not properly checksum to zero. Table 15 lists the BIOS
codes.
Table 15. Beep Codes
Beep Description
3 No memory
Siren Processor overheat (on reboot)

Solution

gravitar

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I'm still working on this and here's what I've done: cleared the CMOS, taken out the battery and put it back in. No change.
Checked connections on MB, cards, memory, etc., looks good. Changed memory timings in BIOS, same problems.

I still don't get a beep on boot nor a POST screen. I don't have anything in my BIOS to enable/disable splash screen.

If I pull out the memory I get the 3 beeps but if I put one or all 3 sticks in I get no beep.

After reading the "New build won't boot" checklist at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.html I'm still not sure what to do next.

At least the system is working fine though. I get good speeds and high FPS's in games but I gotta get this figured out just for the simple fact that it bugs me. :)

I just built this system and won't overclock it til I get all the bugs worked out.

gravitar

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

Nope, it's not in there. I looked many times.

I've never seen a bios without that either but I guess that's Intel or something.