Jun 26, 2018
Hello,

I'm interested in testing the stability of my RAM and after enough research over the internet, my conclusion is going with MemTest86. There are 2 variations of MemTest86: the classic and the MemTest86+.

In the case of classic MemTest86, it's again available in 2 flavors: free (v4) and paid (v8).

I'm also aware that there are a number of tools for Windows that can perform RAM stress test like AIDA64.

Now, here are my questions.

1. Is the free version of MemTest86 enough? It'll only allow 4 passes while I'm interested in running it longer (8 passes).
  2. Is the old, free version of MemTest86 (v4) is enough? It allows running as long as I want.
  3. What's the best way to run MemTest86 (v4)? I ran the tool in "Parallel" mode, but there's an warning that it might result in false positive. What's the difference in running the test single thread vs multi thread?
  4. When I tried MemTest86+, the test froze at test #7. Waited for half an hour and had to reboot the system. Is this a normal behavior?
  5. Is using AIDA64, Prime95 etc. enough? Windows is eating a percentage of RAM in the background, though.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
For record, you don't necessarily "stress" RAM - more use it to help find if there are actual faults with it. Usually stress testing is for testing the stability of overclocks for example. Memtest isn't a benchmark or stress tester, but a fault finder.

IMO - there is no real reason to extensively test RAM unless you are having a problem. So classic memtest is more than enough in 99% of cases. You can run both parallel and single if you so wish.

In effect the parallel option will run the tests "in parallel" to one another using all CPUs and overlapping memory addresses.

If you're not encountering an issue, I don't personally think it needs to be stressed, AIDA64 will probably be a perfectly fine all rounder.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
For record, you don't necessarily "stress" RAM - more use it to help find if there are actual faults with it. Usually stress testing is for testing the stability of overclocks for example. Memtest isn't a benchmark or stress tester, but a fault finder.

IMO - there is no real reason to extensively test RAM unless you are having a problem. So classic memtest is more than enough in 99% of cases. You can run both parallel and single if you so wish.

In effect the parallel option will run the tests "in parallel" to one another using all CPUs and overlapping memory addresses.

If you're not encountering an issue, I don't personally think it needs to be stressed, AIDA64 will probably be a perfectly fine all rounder.

Solution
Jun 26, 2018

I recently got new RAMs as old ones had faults, so trying to make sure that these ones are ok. I also OCed them slightly using DRAM Calculator for Ryzen... that's why I'm interested.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm using the the basic MemTest86 (v4) for stressing my RAM for stability.