[SOLVED] Memory stuck at 2400mhz and 8gb hardware reserved. Please help!

adrncx

Prominent
Sep 28, 2020
BIOS, CPUZ, Task Manager Screenshots

Specs:
Computer Type: Desktop
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
CPU: RYZEN 5 1400
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX II
BIOS Version: E7C02AMS.H60 (01/12/2022 Build Date)
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 3200MHz
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Home x64 (Ver. 21H2)

I have tried pretty much everything possible to try and fix this issue. Both XMP profiles do not change anything for my ram speed, and it also doesn't show up as 16gb in the BIOS. However, in task manager and CPUZ it does recognize the two sticks of 8gb, but 8gb is hardware reserved. It has also remained stuck at 2400mhz this entire time, any XMP profile does not change it. This motherboard is brand new since I thought it was a motherboard issue and had recently purchased this one so I doubt that is the cause of the issue. The ram is also not faulty as it has passed MemTest86 and worked perfectly fine in another pc (it was able to use all 16gb and ran at 3200mhz in said other pc). BIOS is using the latest stable version available afaik. I have reinstalled Windows as well to no avail. My fear is that it is another component in my pc that may be driving this issue.
Please let me know if any of you have had a similar issue and managed to resolve it, thank you!

Solution
Hey man, sorry to hear you got the same issue. I ended up figuring out a solution for my issue. I tried each stick individually to see if it was a bad stick or bad slot. The issue seems to be my slots 3 and 4 are bad which sucks bc its a new motherboard. But I'm currently using my ram in slots 1 and 2 and it works perfect like that. Probably gonna end up returning the board though. Hope this helps
It did end up being my motherboard, which is wierd because it worked in the past and each ramstick worked individually in both slots. I tried the other 2 slots together and they worked. Too late to return the board for me though. Thank you for your help. Memtest also shows 16 gb now.
You dimm slots are fine it depends on the...

Specs:

I have tried pretty much everything possible to try and fix this issue. Both XMP profiles do not change anything for my ram speed, and it also doesn't show up as 16gb in the BIOS. However, in task manager and CPUZ it does recognize the two sticks of 8gb, but 8gb is hardware reserved. It has also remained stuck at 2400mhz this entire time, any XMP profile does not change it. This motherboard is brand new since I thought it was a motherboard issue and had recently purchased this one so I doubt that is the cause of the issue. The ram is also not faulty as it has passed MemTest86 and worked perfectly fine in another pc (it was able to use all 16gb and ran at 3200mhz in said other pc). BIOS is using the latest stable version available afaik. I have reinstalled Windows as well to no avail. My fear is that it is another component in my pc that may be driving this issue.
Please let me know if any of you have had a similar issue and managed to resolve it, thank you!

Have you tried to update the bios?

Specs:

Have you tried to update the bios

Specs:

The bios shows you have 2 dissimilar sticks of ram.
Your machine may not like that.
Best to get a 2x kit.

Do you have the sticks in the proper slots?

Reactions: white.a.drew

adrncx

Prominent
Sep 28, 2020
The bios shows you have 2 dissimilar sticks of ram.
Your machine may not like that.
Best to get a 2x kit.

Do you have the sticks in the proper slots?
Woah not sure why it says that. Both these sticks came from the same kit I purchased, they're in correct slots as well. I made made aware that my CPU has a memory limit of 2666mhz which might explain some of the speed issues, but still unsure why 8gb is hardware reserved like that to no avail.

Specs:

When you ran memtest on this machine how much ram did it see?

adrncx

Prominent
Sep 28, 2020
Hey, I am not OP, but I have the exact same issue. Memtest86 only shows half my ram when they are both plugged in, but each individual stick works. Is this likely to be a hardware issue?
Hey man, sorry to hear you got the same issue. I ended up figuring out a solution for my issue. I tried each stick individually to see if it was a bad stick or bad slot. The issue seems to be my slots 3 and 4 are bad which sucks bc its a new motherboard. But I'm currently using my ram in slots 1 and 2 and it works perfect like that. Probably gonna end up returning the board though. Hope this helps

Reactions: vandorlot

vandorlot

Reputable
Sep 25, 2018
It did end up being my motherboard, which is wierd because it worked in the past and each ramstick worked individually in both slots. I tried the other 2 slots together and they worked. Too late to return the board for me though. Thank you for your help. Memtest also shows 16 gb now.

Last edited:
You dimm slots are fine it depends on the mobo and cpu you have what slots you use now, it's no longer straight all cpus and mobo a2 and b2 for dual channel. Now it if you have this mobo and this cpu dimm slots a2 and b2 or same mobo different gen cpu now you use a1 and b1

Solution