Memory suggestion?

Running an ASUS P4C800E-Delux mobo with a 3.2ghzP4, current memory is 512mb
muskin DDR, believe its either 2700 or 3200, can't remember. Looking to
upgrade it to a full gig, I remember back in the SIMM era memory being very
touchy when mixed with different brands, or even different manufacturing
dates form the same company, so i am probably going to opt to buy fresh
memory, and push this old 512 down to a different system or sell it. I see
a lot of 1GB packages containing 2x512sticks, and its usually cheaper than
buying a single 1GB stick. Is there any significan't advantage/disadvantage
of gong for a 2pack versus a single stick? Also curios to get a read on who
is making the best memory for tbe buck, I've seen 2 packs ranging from
anywhere from 75bux all the way up to 220bux, I'm thinking more towards the
120 range myself. Recommendations?

Reason for the upgrade is severe slowdowns with certian games, but only when
the screen is loaded wiht elements. First thought it could have been the
vid card, but turning down settings did not resove stutter, however kicking
people out worked fine. Game in point is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, less than
500 people in park and it works great, more than 1000 and its drags ass,
guess the computer is constantly trying to keep track of each character.
There are other games with similar problems like sim city 4 et al. Also
considering upping the cooling on the processor and mildly overclocking,
want to make sure the memory can support that as well.

I have the exact same motherboard, but with a 3.0 pentium 4 (with HT).
I bought my computer (from Cyberpower) with 512MB in two 256mb sticks.
Sorry, I don't know the brand.
But when I wanted to add memory, I added a gig in two 512MB sticks from
Crucial (www.crucial.com).
I have not had a problem with my 1.5 gig of memory, not with the Crucial
brand and not with the fact that I combined two different manufacturers'
memory. So you might want to consider holding on to your current memory
while adding a gig in 2X512. It hasn't caused a problem for me.

I think the advantage of using two sticks of 512 instead of a single 1 gig
stick may have to do with dual channel memory.

PS: I don't remember the cost of my memory from Crucial, but I do remember
it was a good deal. And, they have an applet on their website that looks at
your motherboard and suggests things. For some reason, the applet didn't
work for me, and may not work for you; but no matter, because my memory from
them works fine.

You might also check out http://www.kc-computers.com/index.shtml . I came
across this guy when he answered a question on a usenet group (I think it
was a group dedicated to ASUS boards). I've been emailing him back and forth
because I'm looking for another computer (in addition to the one with the
ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe board, not to replace it).
Seems very willing to help.

D Persica wrote:
> [...]
>> the best memory for tbe buck, I've seen 2 packs ranging from
>> anywhere from 75bux all the way up to 220bux, I'm thinking more
>> towards the 120 range myself. Recommendations?
>>
>> Reason for the upgrade is severe slowdowns with certian games, but
>> only when the screen is loaded wiht elements. First thought it
>> could have been the vid card, but turning down settings did not
>> resove stutter, however kicking people out worked fine. Game in
>> point is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, less than 500 people in park and
>> it works great, more than 1000 and its drags ass, guess the computer
>> is constantly trying to keep track of each character. There are
>> other games with similar problems like sim city 4 et al. Also
>> considering upping the cooling on the processor and mildly
>> overclocking, want to make sure the memory can support that as well.

well, you may want to take in consideration the heat spreaders. some brands
of heat spreaders tend to interfere with the proper installation of
additional ram. buyer beware!

"nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote in message

> Running an ASUS P4C800E-Delux mobo with a 3.2ghzP4, current memory is
> 512mb muskin DDR, believe its either 2700 or 3200, can't remember.
> Looking to upgrade it to a full gig, I remember back in the SIMM era
> memory being very touchy when mixed with different brands, or even
> different manufacturing dates form the same company, so i am probably
> going to opt to buy fresh memory, and push this old 512 down to a
> different system or sell it. I see a lot of 1GB packages containing
> 2x512sticks, and its usually cheaper than buying a single 1GB stick. Is
> there any significan't advantage/disadvantage of gong for a 2pack versus a
> single stick? Also curios to get a read on who is making the best memory
> for tbe buck, I've seen 2 packs ranging from anywhere from 75bux all the
> way up to 220bux, I'm thinking more towards the 120 range myself.
> Recommendations?
>
> Reason for the upgrade is severe slowdowns with certian games, but only
> when the screen is loaded wiht elements. First thought it could have been
> the vid card, but turning down settings did not resove stutter, however
> kicking people out worked fine. Game in point is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3,
> less than 500 people in park and it works great, more than 1000 and its
> drags ass, guess the computer is constantly trying to keep track of each
> character. There are other games with similar problems like sim city 4 et
> al. Also considering upping the cooling on the processor and mildly
> overclocking, want to make sure the memory can support that as well.

I've installed this package in 3-4 boxes with your mobo and CPU, and all are
perfectly stable: http://tinyurl.com/dlqjl

If you install one 1gb stick you won't achieve dual-channel mode, which will
cut bandwidth and performance.