Memory test failure after flashing BIOS

cpunutz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I recently performed a flash update to my BIOS (Phoenix Award WorkstationBIOS) and now when my pc boots up it makes it to the Windows XP loading screen and then reboots.

If I boot into BIOS & disable quick POST & then re-boot I get a memory test failure. I have two memory modules. I tried each one individually and it appears I only have the problem with one of them. Before I flashed the BIOS the pc worked fine.

The other thing I notice now is, when I boot up my pc, I hear a single short beep just after pushing the power button. This happens if:
1) I have both memory modules installed
OR
2) I have the one good module in.

If I try booting up with the alleged "bad" memory module (innocent until proven guilty 8O) the pc turns on but does nothing else. No beeps, no on-screen errors, nothing.

Additional info-
2- Kingston 512MB DDR 400 (PC3200).
Intel Pentium 4
XP Pro SP2

Anyone run into similar problems? If additional info is needed I'll try and provide.

MacDuff

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Flashing the BIOS will wipe all the previous BIOS settings. It could be that the BIOS doesn't recognise your memory correctly? Check if it is configuring them by SPD. If it is, try changing them to manual settings. If it isn't (although it should be by default), try changing SPD to on.

Mondoman

Splendid
Sometimes it doesn't wipe them out. You should always reload the BIOS settings from "fail-safe" defaults after you flash the BIOS. In any case, it seems like you have a defective module there.

MacDuff

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Sounds unlikely that flashing the BIOS caused the memory to go defective, but I guess stranger things have happened. Of course, they may not be related...