Question Memory test failures

Oct 13, 2019
I recently built my own pc for the first time.

This is the spec:

• Gigabyte Z270-HD3 LGA1151 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
  • Corsair, CX500 PSU.
  • Intel Core i5 8500
  • Corsair, Vengeance LPX, DDR4 8GB 2400 Mhz. x 2
  • Samsung, V-NAND SSD 860 EVO.
  • Win10 Pro.

I'm hoping I matched everything well enough.

Been working great. Wouldn't let me load Spotify exe, forced me to load from MS app store then Spotify blue screened the computer each time running for a few minutes, so I stopped using it and disabled it's auto start and had no problem with that since, all good, fast running, fast start up, really happy.

However the other day I returned to the machine left on and discovered it continually cycling start up and "automically repairing".

I'm coming to a question about memory but this is the background in case I don't know it's important.

I started up with bootable win10 USB entered repair and ran the following repairs:

bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /RebuildBcd

These succeeded except bootrec /FixBoot which said access denied.

I ran checkdsk on the main drive (SSD) with the os on it and this completed without any errors.

Symptoms still persisted.

Tried a Win10 Pro reinstall which appeared each time to progress successfully, but blue screened every time (uncaught system exception) at around 20% progress, retried this a few times, same blue screen.

Subsequent to this I created an auto boot USB of memtest86. I have two modules of 8GB RAM each, see above. I ran all 10 tests individually and every test failed indicating "too many" errors found to be able to continue. Aborting test.

Test 1 and 10 failed for all addresses in the range 7984 - 7999 (MB?), tests 2 to test 9 all failed for the address range 7984 - 8191 (MB?).

This was consistently repeatable.

Oddly I think the tests indicated they were using an access speed of 1900 or similar rather than 2400.

I would be really grateful for some advice.

It may seem obvious, but I have no experience with this at all so looking for advice. Is the memory issue enough for an RMA to the retailer? How should I best present this to them, to hopefully get a cooperative response?

Also, is the memory issue the likely cause of the initial boot failure symptoms described above, is it likely the only cause or do the symptoms suggest other likely issues and given my actions to remedy this so far, if I 'do' replace the memory, what precautions should I take in selecting the best memory for the system, above, and what install/os/boot fixes or restablisation so to speak should I carry out following installing the new memory.

Thank you so much.

Andrew

When test the RAM with memtest86, if you got the error(s), that means the RAM has problem, which will cause BSOD. If you can use the PC right now, you can use the " reliability monitor tool " https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/re...windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/ You will see the memory management error.

So may try re-seat the RAM, and test the RAM again, if you still get the error(s), contact Corsair and RMA the RAM.

Oct 13, 2019
Ok thanks. I cannot 'use the pc' right now so you suggest (if I understand you correctly) because it keeps cycling "auto repair" message at boot up and will not boot.

I will try reseating the ram and if there same errors occur in the tests I will probably RMA it.

Do you have any advice on selecting the best ram for the system or did I already do ok in that regard and this is just a random failure?

If I install new RAM, is there anything I should do to stabilize the os given my actions to this point?

Anyone else have any useful input?

Thanks again. Really appreciate the advice.

You didn't identify the memory by part number or link to it. It might not have any guarantee to be compatible together. I wouldn't know without knowing what memory your using.

Core i5 8500
Supported memory: DDR4-2666

2400MHz is a little slow for that CPU.

lynx1021

Distinguished
According to Amazon that memory fits your board but if they have any error on Memtest the memory is bad or there could be bent pins underneath the CPU. The description in your link is confusing, it says kit but then 1X8gb? some reviews said it was fake? Did you get two or Buy two?
A set of 2X8Gb for your board from newegg the number is
CMK16GX4M2A2400C16

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019
I am fairly certain the cpu was put in place extremely carefully. I am not keen to take it out now unless absolutely essential. Is there any other way to know if it is a cpu pin problem or a memory hardware problem. It is odd that it has behaved completely fine until now. This makes me think it is not the cpu pins.

I shall check whether it was purchased as a set. Someone else purchased it for me. I think possibly not because the two did not come in one pack as I have seen happen before with a 2 stick kit. It is worrying to here some of these may be fakes.

Any more thoughts on the speed. I read this must match the board AND the CPU. It seems from discussion above that the frequency may suit the board, but not the cpu, but the board says it suits the cpu so not sure what next memory to pick.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Oct 19, 2019
No.1: Ram Channel best on A2+B2
No.2: You need update MotherBoard Bios and user XMP / locking to 2400mhz
No.3:Try Win10 1709 and 1803
----------------------------------------------------
Or buy New Ram

Oct 13, 2019
Ok thanks for all the responses. Really appreciate it.

I think I will try reseating each mem stick on its own individually. If with reseating and individually, one still has errors, though I don't know a lot about this, I feel that may point towards me hardware fault (although depending on how the CPU connects to each stick, possibly pins on CPU but I think that was done super carefully - can I put single sticks in any slot, that may rule that out, no? Instead of lifting CPU) in which case I will try for RMA and make sure I buy quality and "kit" form next.

If I do buy and install new I probably need to understand this from above...

"No.1: Ram Channel best on A2+B2
No.3:Try Win10 1709 and 1803"

...a bit better. I think I know what to do re bios (maybe untill I get in there and can't find it, but hopefully ok), but the rest of it I don't understand. I thought windows update to new win 10 nnnn was automatic.

If I get new RAM then clearly I need to install it right, any advice or elaboration on the above quote, much appreciated.

Thanks.

Oct 13, 2019
No.1: Ram Channel best on A2+B2
No.3:Try Win10 1709 and 1803
----------------------------------------------------
Or buy New Ram

Regarding this, the sticks were in these channels already. I have since tested each stick individually in channel 1, one stick the PC / motherboard won't post, nothing. The other stick the exact same memtest errors. I tried also individually in channel 2 (though this is not usual , but I thought in case of an issue with the channel) exact same result per sticks.

I am a bit confused about enabling xmp and going to the full 2400. While I guess this is the right thing to do when first installing the sticks, I would have thought the faster the speed the "more" likely there to be test errors. Do you expect going to the full (manufacturer tested at) speed might actual fix the problem and have been the cause.

Re going to win 10 1709, 1803, this is just not possible as a potential fix since the issue with the memory will not allow me to start the OS and also fails in the same way when running win 10 from USB with the plan to reinstall or upgrade.

I am not sure I want a replacement. When I now read the reviews (this memory was purchased for me by someone else), a very significant number of people even among those marking 4 stars have had failures and replacements. This does not instill confidence.

Is the usual RMA path replacement? So if I want different ram will I just have to take the cost hit?

Given my CPU and motherboard what do people recommend, I want to maximize quality now not minimise cost, still happy with 2400.

Thanks.

Because you got the error during the memory test, like I said before, contact Corsair tech support, tell them you get the RAM error during the memory test. They should give you the RMA (return merchandise authorization ) # for the replacement, but it will take sometime, like few weeks.