Memory testing - Graphic Card Error

Bathroth

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hey Guys,

at the moment i got the Computer of a friend infront of me. He has/had a real strange Problem.

First the Specs about the system:
mb: intel DH55HC
cpu: i5 650
ram: 8GB DDR3 Kingston 1333
hdd: 500GB WD blue
graphic: GT210 1GB

Now to the problem:

Always as he was playing something or wanting to use the internet like facebook youtube or something, the display switched off and after some time he just shuts down.

I was investigating much about that problem:

1. install all new drivers
2. install windows new
and so on . the standart procedure of investigating about that kind of problems.

the strange part now ... without the graphics driver all was working normally without problems. after installing the new or the old driver the problem came back.

after 1 hour investigating i checked the ram with the ultimate boot disk. the ram is totally okay.

After the test i made another check with the ram. the Motherboard has 4 Ram slots. Now i put both rams in the Black slots. My friend had them in black and blue. Both are single rams so it shouldnt be a problem. But now the error dont show up again at the moment.

Im really confused about that. Because this error happened with the driver and the ram in diffrent slots. and now changed it works normally (it seems so). Cause of a REAL slow internet connection im now downloading 3D benchmark to test if the error will ocme back. but need 6 hours more for download oO!

So my Question is, if it really could be the Problem about the positionating of the ram that the graphic card wont work? Because the Onboard card with driver worked without Problems.

Thank you for reading and hopefully helping me :) (also i hope im right here in this forum ;)
Greetings

Bathroth

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
What model is the power supply? More importantly, the wattage? I'm guessing the proper drivers switched the video output to the graphics card, instead of integrated graphics, perhaps causing too much power draw.

I think the RAM isn't the issue. The slot colors represent channels. Depending on how you put them in, it could be in dual or single channel mode. No big difference there, nothing to worry about.

But anyway, sounds like a low output power supply, or perhaps a dying one.

EDIT: That GPU shouldn't be drawing much power at all. It could also be an issue with the video card itself. Do you have another one you could try in the system? If so, uninstall all graphics drivers, slap the new one in, and see if that changes anything. If so, it might be time to consider a new GPU.

Bathroth

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Thank you for the fast answer.

The power supply wattage istn the problem. checked all over and with the 30-40 watt usage of the little graphic card we cant arrive 750W.

The point of the voltage could be a little problem there you could be right. is there any way to check the voltage of the PCIe output? because the card of course dont need any aparted voltage source (dont know how to say that but i guess u know what i mean). Or is the PCIe voltage output = the output voltage i see in the bios?

i checked the GPU in an other computer. It seems that there is no Problem. My personal problem at the moment is about the testing and reproducing the error. I cant be sure about the error-building until i got the benchmark to test it.

Sadly i dont have another GPU with PCIe here to test it.

Also my first thought was the GPU - but as its working in an other computer (without benchmark testing) i was thinking about the PCIe Slot. But now im not sure about nothing.

So is the Voltage which i see in the bios the same like on the PCIe output?
And how much % was again the +- line of the Outputs? 10%?

thanks so far for your help.

Greetz

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Sorry for the delay in replying again. I was commuting home and getting food.

Honestly, I'm all but stumped on this one. My best guess? Probably the motherboard. It's too bad it doesn't have another slot to test it in. I don't think there is a way to check the wattage use without some sort of physical device.

Make sure you download the latest drivers for the board here (juts select "Win7 64 bit" and "Drivers":
http://tinyurl.com/254gw5g

After that, perhaps try resetting all BIOS settings to defaults. If that doesn't do it, I'm afraid I'll have to yield to more experienced forum users. But like I said, my instincts tell me the motherboard is faulty.

johnlee04009

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
It's maybe a DIMM issue.
DRAM will be go to power saving model with GPU diver installed, and there might be some problems during that time.
You can try to find out the failed DIMM with the third one, i guess.

Bathroth

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hey Guys,

Sorry over the weekend i had no time.

Now i checked the Video Card with 3D Mark basic edition.

The test was running without Problems. After that i was watching the results online and the computer shut down again. It seems that the graphic is working well but it still shut down ... So is it the Motherboard or i still cant be sure what is causing the Problem? I dont know anymore how to test this.

IF anyone could help me i would be really happy. For me it seems its the motherboard. But the issue just come up with browsing in the internet ... for me really strange issue :S

Greetings

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

If you have a compatible motherboard in another system, I would try testing everything in that motherboard. If it works, that settles it.

Bathroth

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Thanks for the reply.

Tomorrow on work ill watch if i have the same there. The problem is, i guess the sockets of all other boards i have is 1155 - and the board in the PC of my friend 1156. But ill watch if i have something in stock on work for check.

If someone else have an idea - im open for every help :)
And jrgray93 - Thanks for helping me some out here!

Greetz