Memory timings driving me nuts!

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
So, I bought these Geil RAM the other day and I just can't get them to work probobly.

I'm running
AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA
E2140 1.6GHZ
2 x 1GB PC-5300 Geil RAM
BFG GF7600GT OC
And so on...

As you can see on the first scrn shot from CPUZ here I OC'ed a bit (stupid chipset won't let me go any higher)
2qs9xr6.jpg

On the second scrn shot here you can see how my memory where configured from SPD when I first plugged it in.
xdfmfk.jpg

On this third scrn shot we got the SPD settings, none of it is true though - notice the "Part number" CL3-4-4DDR2-667. What gives?
ind6dg.jpg

Now finally after playing around with my BIOS all evening disabling the boot safety, lowering the drive strength, upping the V-Link and so on.. (I tried a lot of things)
I finally succeeded in getting them to run right, except for the command rate.
156xsmu.jpg

The command rate is set to 1T in BIOS but apparently they refuse to run at 1T. Timings from SPD is still just as messed up as on the third picture.

So, does anyone have any idea how to get CR down to 1T?

Long post for such a simple question, but I just wanted to share this with you as I thought this was seriously weird.. oh and btw. DON'T BUY GEIL RAM! can't even obtain a simple data sheet for the damn thing ;)

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
they wont .

1T cmd rate is usualy only found in ddr or some ocz stuff. Try adding some voltage to the sticks if you can or upping the northbridge volts a bit.

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
They won't? hmm.. I thought they where meant to be 1T as I thought this was pretty much standard for "better than average" RAM nowadays, but who is to say when one can't even get a data sheet for the damn thing...

Unfortunately I can't adjust the voltage settings for my chipset. I can adjust the RAM voltage Low, Normal, High but it's already on high. Chipset needs to hard wired and since I work with electronics every day I was thinking about doing it, until I realized that the chipset on this mobo is already over clocked to reach FSB 1066. I decided to buy a new mobo instead, probably the ASUS P5KC or maybe Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, which one would you choose? I hear ASUS OC better...

Anyhow, I'll try upping the voltage when I receive it on Tuesday.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Ahh... Just read your motherboard name... The famed Asrock! :D

Yes, even 'enthusiast' RAM has a higher cmd rate nowadays, back in the days of the K8 Sckt939s huh? :p.Even if you go with these two motherboards be sure to check if they have the option to actually CHANGE the settings to 1T.

I would go for the asus myself; although having a look at the number of derivitives it is totally confusing... Gigabyte should be cheaper and the if 965P DS3s are anything to go by the P35 version should be a nice OCer. Asus supports DDR3 too (not sure about overclocking with DDR2+DDR3 boards though, it might be the same thing we saw with the 478 northwoods)

:)

GL :D