Memory to get the best out of E6600

gurufast

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Hi.
I'm in the process of building a new pc which im planning to overclock as much as possible. it will consist of E6600 and P5b Deluxe.
What do you think would be the best choice of memory for it?

As for the specs:

MOBO: Asus P5B Deluxe
CASE: Antec P180B
CPU: Intel Core Duo 2 E6600
CPU COOLER: Scythe Infinity CPU Cooler
GFX: eVGA 8800GTX
(HDD1: WD Raptor 150 GB)
HDD2s: 2x 320GB, Barracuda

I was thinking of Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5 myself but then again I'm a novice when it comes to hardware. Any feedback about the rest of the specs would be nice too.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
anything that is DDR2 1000 or high will do you good, right now Im running OCZ GOLD XTC DDR2 1000 with my e6600 and the only thing that is restricting me right now is my cooling (im running a water cooling setup that I put together) and as of right now Im up to 4GHz but can definitely go high seeing as there are pretty much no memory restrictions which is a very good thing. Once I get it under phase change cooling or Dry Ice I will probably be able to get to 4.5GHz if not higher. As for your setup you too will not be limited by the memory but instead by your cooling, so I suggest getting a quality Phase Change unit or build yourself one, plus it is a lot of fun to build them:D here is the best place to find everything you will ever need to know about phase change:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Here is the current e6600 World Record and it is happily running on PC 8500, under LN2, so it just goes to show that the memory can easily keep up it is more of the cooling that is needed in order to get these massive overclocks.

9609spi1mxx4.jpg

cattlebaron

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I agree with the other poster, get something that is in the DDR2 1000 area and you should be good. The intel chipset you picked out is less picky about the memory than the Nvidia chipsets so most any good maker should do. There is a great article on DDR2 performance differences in relation to speed and latency in the Feb Issue of CPU Magazine. I am sure there are others as well. Decent DDR 1066 (your initial FSB) will set you back about $300 USD and maybe even more for the really good stuff.

G

If you dont OC you dont need anything over DDRII-533, above poster seams mistaken between the Quad pumped 266mhz intel FSB and the Dual channel 533 that match the 1066 of the CPU.

If you plan to Oc a bit at around 3ghz, DDRII-667 will be good. I would not advice on anything over 800mhz.

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
If you plan to Oc a bit at around 3ghz, DDRII-667 will be good. I would not advice on anything over 800mhz.

I'm building a very similar system and I have the same question. I notice that you recommend DDRII-667 memory, but you don't really specify what memory timings to go for.

I'm planning on doing mild overclocking, but since I have next to zero experience overclocking I'm very confused about what type of DDRII-667 memory to get. Just regular 5-5-5-12 timings or something lower? If I'm just doing a mild overclock do I really need timings lower than 5-5-5-12?

G

About the memory timming, it will give you better results at the same clock speed(read benchmark). I would qualify the effects of timing to be marginal for the amount of money you may need to put into the sticks.

Also the lower timing is often a sign that the memory might overclock further with looser timing.

If you buy DDRII-667, you won't be overclocking the memory itself unless you go over 3ghz(on a E6600) so timing would not have any impact on actual overclocking.

Tell us your budget for the ram and we will recomand something =) I would say to look at 667CL4, but if the price is much higher, CL5 won't impact performance all that much