[SOLVED] Memory Topology on MSI

Dec 16, 2020
Hi all!
So this is my goal build, and I’m trying to figure out what memory topology my motherboard has to figure out if I want a 2x16 memory kit or 4x8 memory kit. I have an MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi.
Thank you all in advance!

Solution
OK...what performance are you looking for? Ryzen 3000 has much improved memory support and I seem to remember reading where people are getting 3200MTps speed with 4 DIMMS on daisy chain boards...especially better 6 layer boards (which that board seems to be). It may not be just by setting XMP and going for it though, they almost doubtless have to tweak timings (Ryzen DRAM Calculator helps with that) and run higher voltage. But if you're willing to work at it and take what it gives you might get somewhere between 3200 and 3600 with quality memory.

I'd go for performance, though. 2 DIMM's, always. I don't care about looks much...and I kind of share their attitude in that LTT video about why do they have to put 4 DIMM sockets on all...
Ah yeah you're right, I got confused for a moment. OP, go with 2x16, not only is it cheaper but with daisy chain it should be more stable to overclock.
One other curious 'feature' of that board is it will apparently allow use of ECC memory. Not that you should run out to get some for it...it just ALLOWS use of it but doesn't enable the ECC functionality even though Ryzen CPU's do support ECC. I suppose useful you've some ECC memory laying about. But makes me wonder why they don't go ahead and fully enable it's functionality.

At least that's what I recall from a techtube review by Level1Techs on it.

Reactions: Newtonius
Dec 16, 2020
One other curious 'feature' of that board is it will apparently allow use of ECC memory. Not that you should run out to get some for it...it just ALLOWS use of it but doesn't enable the ECC functionality even though Ryzen CPU's do support ECC. I suppose useful you've some ECC memory laying about. But makes me wonder why they don't go ahead and fully enable it's functionality.

At least that's what I recall from a techtube review by Level1Techs on it.
Yeah I just watched that video but I’m still fairly new to the specifics of motherboards so I wanted to get a few more opinions. I am a little bummed it won’t look as good with 2 doms instead of 4 lol but I’ll get over it. Thank you!

Yeah I just watched that video but I’m still fairly new to the specifics of motherboards so I wanted to get a few more opinions. I am a little bummed it won’t look as good with 2 doms instead of 4 lol but I’ll get over it. Thank you!
You're not alone...I seem to remember reading about some mfr (probably either Corsair or GSkill) make a 'dummy' DIMM with the same outward appearance and design features of select lines for those who want to complete "the look". It looks just like a DIMM, with full RGB effects and everything, but it doesn't load the data and address lines so doesn't limit clocking performance.

CORRECTION: it's Gigabyte, Aorus line:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/aorus-rgb-ram-16gb-3600mhz-demo-dummy-dimms

Dec 16, 2020
You're not alone...I seem to remember reading about some mfr (probably either Corsair or GSkill) make a 'dummy' DIMM with the same outward appearance and design features of select lines for those who want to complete "the look". It looks just like a DIMM, with full RGB effects and everything, but it doesn't load the data and address lines so doesn't limit clocking performance.

CORRECTION: it's Gigabyte, Aorus line:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/aorus-rgb-ram-16gb-3600mhz-demo-dummy-dimms
I see, would you happen to know if Corsair makes these for doms? I would check but I’m at work and probably shouldn’t be on my phone too much haha

Dec 16, 2020
I've no idea.
Alright. Now I have a dilemma, better theoretical “performance” and worse looks or better looks and inferior “performance.” In your opinion, what would you do?
Personally I’m torn because I really wanted to have an all black and rgb build, and to fill up some of the empty space my motherboard would have.
P.S, after checking, they only have the lighting kits for the Corsair Vengeance rgb pro.

OK...what performance are you looking for? Ryzen 3000 has much improved memory support and I seem to remember reading where people are getting 3200MTps speed with 4 DIMMS on daisy chain boards...especially better 6 layer boards (which that board seems to be). It may not be just by setting XMP and going for it though, they almost doubtless have to tweak timings (Ryzen DRAM Calculator helps with that) and run higher voltage. But if you're willing to work at it and take what it gives you might get somewhere between 3200 and 3600 with quality memory.

I'd go for performance, though. 2 DIMM's, always. I don't care about looks much...and I kind of share their attitude in that LTT video about why do they have to put 4 DIMM sockets on all the motherboards! Such a waste of board real estate!

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 16, 2020

I'd go for performance, though. 2 DIMM's, always. I don't care about looks much...and I kind of share their attitude in that LTT video about why do they have to put 4 DIMM sockets on all the motherboards! Such a waste of board real estate!
I just want gaming and audio processing performance, but I think I reached a pretty solid decision. Imma step down to the Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 and get the lighting kit to finish the “look.” Good performance, good looks, and it all comes down to be cheaper than the Doms (either 2x16 or 4x18).

Reactions: drea.drechsler