Memory underclocked (Not a dual channel issue)

NexTerren

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I just noticed that my memory was underclocked. It's supposed to be out-of-the-box 1866 MHz, but it's running at 1333 MHz (666.7 sayth CPU-Z, which as I understand is half of it's actual speed due to modern RAM being dual channeled).

I have found a great number of threads on Tom's Hardware and elsewhere dealing with this same issue, but they all were issues of not understanding that RAM is in a dual channel configuration, which I don't think is my problem.

I'm not looking to overclock it, just get it to its out-of-the box speed. Is there any way I can slap my motherboard in the face, and tell it to get with the program? Or will this being the same process as overclocking RAM?

Also, if it is the same process as overclocking, I saw a place in my BIOS to adjust the RAM's voltage, but not one to adjust the frequency of the RAM, and the mother board's instruction manual wasn't exactly enlightening. Is there anything that I could be missing here?

My current setup.

Solution
Check your manual for the exact configuration option in the bios but probably:
advanced mode > extreme tweaker > memory frequency > change from auto to xmp whatever your stick has.
You don't have to change anything on the RAM's voltage.
Just from BIOS at RAM settings choose: XMP (extreme memory profile)
edit: OK we have the same mobo/CPU let me check it and I can tell you exactly what to do.
bios_01.jpg

NexTerren

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

...And I feel rather foolish for not seeing that. Adjusted, and it seems to have worked. Thank you!

Dual channel has nothing to do with this. DDR stands for double data rate which is why it's double. It's typical for ram to auto set to stock speed which should have been 1600 for you. But it usually doesn't auto oc itself like you thought. 1866 is not out of the box speed, it's the max speed it was tested at and given xmp to those specs. It could be capable of higher which gskill usually does oc higher than its rated.