Question Memory Upgrade Advice

riveran21

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Hello,

I have an ASUS ROG G750JW that I am in the process of upgrading. I want to upgrade the memory but am confused by information I am getting from different sources.

If I look at the specs on ASUS site for my laptop it states the following: "DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, up to 32 GB"

So I went to the Crucial website and ran their scanning tool to see what memory they suggest will work with my PC and they actually show DDR3L memory with speeds of 1600 and 1866 MHz.

When I referred to the specs of my chipset (Intel HM87 Express) I couldn't find anything that indicated max supported speeds.

I went to Corsair's website and was looking at their DDR3L 1.35V memory options and see that they offer some better options of the above speeds with a lower CL value than what Crucial was offering. In fact, they also have a DDR3L 1.35V at 2133 MHz speed.

Right now I'm running 16 GB of memory on my laptop but I have an 8GB in one slot and (2x4GB) in two other slots. Additionally I get the distinct feeling the 8GB that was sold to me (back in the day) was DDR3; not DDR3L which is recommended for my laptop. So I'm eager to max out and use the same memory across the board.

I know that I may also be over thinking this and should just go with the mfr recommended 1600 but looking to gain some insight from the experts out here.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have an ASUS ROG G750JW that I am in the process of upgrading. I want to upgrade the memory but am confused by information I am getting from different sources.

If I look at the specs on ASUS site for my laptop it states the following: "DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, up to 32 GB"

So I went to the Crucial website and ran their scanning tool to see what memory they suggest will work with my PC and they actually show DDR3L memory with speeds of 1600 and 1866 MHz.

When I referred to the specs of my chipset (Intel HM87 Express) I couldn't find anything that indicated max supported speeds.

I went to Corsair's website and was looking at their DDR3L 1.35V memory options and see that they offer some better options of the above speeds with a lower CL value than what Crucial was offering. In fact, they also have a DDR3L 1.35V at 2133 MHz speed.

Right now I'm running 16 GB of memory on my laptop but I have an 8GB in one slot and (2x4GB) in two other slots. Additionally I get the distinct feeling the 8GB that was sold to me (back in the day) was DDR3; not DDR3L which is recommended for my laptop. So I'm eager to max out and use the same memory across the board.

I know that I may also be over thinking this and should just go with the mfr recommended 1600 but looking to gain some insight from the experts out here.

Thanks in advance.
What CPU do you have? It's specs will determine the max memory speed you can run on your laptop. If you were running DDR3 and not DDR3L, all 3 modules would be running at 1.5v.

Download and run CPU-Z and get the memory specs from the Memory and SPD Tabs.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

riveran21

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
What CPU do you have? It's specs will determine the max memory speed you can run on your laptop. If you were running DDR3 and not DDR3L, all 3 modules would be running at 1.5v.

Download and run CPU-Z and get the memory specs from the Memory and SPD Tabs.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Thanks for response. Here are the current specs on my machine. Let me know if you want more details. Appreciate the information.

1.png

1.png

1.png

1.png

1.png

Thanks for response. Here are the current specs on my machine. Let me know if you want more details. Appreciate the information.

1.png

1.png

1.png

1.png

1.png
If you don't actually need more than 16GB, I would just buy 2 more of the same DDR3L 4GB modules you have now. You could get another 8GB dual rank module, but it may not work with the other one you have already. Plus you are still running 1.5v on all modules with that 8GB module installed. The biggest issue is the possibility of incompatiblty with so many different modules. You might be better off getting a 2x8GB DDR3L kit instead. Also, the 8GB module "might" be 2133Mhz (unlikely), but is running at 1600Mhz to match the 4GB modules. Lastly, I'm not even sure why CPU-Z is reporting dual channel mode with three modules installed.

https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-HMT451S6AFR8A-PB-PC3-12800-DDR3-1600MHz-Unbuffered/dp/B00FKEZ218