Memory upgrade benefits

DCFC79

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Hi I was wondering if I could ask your opinions/advice.

I have this motherboard and I run windows 7 64bit version.

I have 1x 4GB stick of memory installed, is there any benefit to adding a second stick ?

Reading the specs I understand I can fit a max of 32GB.

Solution
it also should be noted that upgrading ram is complicated and to do it correctly you must match up clockspeeds, cas latencies, and in some cases even manufacturers and capacities. you're safest bet would be to purchase the exact same kit as you have now

KLawinger

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Adding another stick to 8gb would improve game performance and definitly will help with multitasking, allowing faster transistions and more windows to be open, though the benefit from going to 16 and then 32 is almost negligible unless you're doing any heavy editing or ram intensive tasks.

TLDR, more fps in AAA games, more multitasking, more efficient editing/ram intensive tasks

ram only really matters when you dont have enough

KLawinger

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
it also should be noted that upgrading ram is complicated and to do it correctly you must match up clockspeeds, cas latencies, and in some cases even manufacturers and capacities. you're safest bet would be to purchase the exact same kit as you have now

Solution

bigwoofer

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Absolutely going to 8GB will lead to noticeable speed improvements with Windows 7 64 bit even for light office use. If you go to your performance monitor while you're using your pc, you'll likely see you're regularly using 4 GB and having what are called 'hard faults'. Hard faults are when data previously stored in memory has been moved to your hard drive. So your program looks in memory, then has to go get it from the hard drive. This costs delay, and you wait.

DCFC79

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008

Ok thanks for your help, wondered f that would be the case.

Yes Ive been trying to find out where I bought the memory from and was going to see if I can buy exactly the same from the same website. Just means I'll have to open the machine up to check the brand.

Thanks for the information.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yes, 8GB would be better and best to get a set of 2x4GB, there are no guarantees when trying to 'add' DRAM, even if you get the same exact model, it's a 50/50 crapshoot if they will play. With a 2x4GB set you have 8GB and if the old will play, it's a boneus, else you can sell it and recoup some of your expenditure