[SOLVED] Memory upgrade for Dell 8930

phoenyx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
Hi Guys, I just had a quick question regarding increasing my memory on a new Dell machine I got recently.

It's an XPS 8930 i7 9700 and currently has 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM

I'm thinking of just doubling it for now to 32GB. Though I've never upgraded memory befoer I've heard it's fairly easy!

I believe it has to be installed in pairs so I guess i either get another set of 2x 8GB (the cheapest option) or 2x 16GB and remove the two exisiting 8GB.

I've heard Crucial is a good place to get memory from and found some 8GB there which seems the right type, but just wanted to check before i go ahead :-

Crucial 8GB RAM

Just as an extra question, do all 4 RAM slots have to be the same size memory or can you have say 2x 8GB and 2x16GB?!

Thanks!

Solution
Hi Guys, I just had a quick question regarding increasing my memory on a new Dell machine I got recently.

I'm thinking of just doubling it for now to 32GB. Though I've never upgraded memory befoer I've heard it's fairly easy!

I believe it has to be installed in pairs so I guess i either get another set of 2x 8GB (the cheapest option) or 2x 16GB and remove the two exisiting 8GB.

I've heard Crucial is a good place to get memory from and found some 8GB there which seems the right type, but just wanted to check before i go ahead :-

Crucial 8GB RAM

Just as an extra question, do all 4 RAM slots have to be the same size memory or can you...

Crucial 8GB RAM

Just as an extra question, do all 4 RAM slots have to be the same size memory or can you have say 2x 8GB and 2x16GB?!

Thanks!
Depending on the specs of the ram you have already, you could just buy another 2x8GB 2666 kit, but you have much better chance of full compatibility buying a 2x16GB kit for 32GB total. You will be told by other people here not to mix ram kits, but there is usually no way to know for sure if they will work together. Slower speed mixed kits usually have a much better chance of working without issues, no guarantees it will work. You can even add the 2x8GB kit back for even more ram if you get a 2x16GB kit and it may work fine. There is no harm in trying it.

Download CPU-Z and get the timings from the SPD tab and make note of the timings for 2666 and try to get something as close as possible to those numbers. Lower CL( cas latency) is better, but the motherboard will change speed and timings to match the slowest installed module. If Dell cheaped out, you likely were given 2666 CL17, but you might have got CL15. You could post a screen shot of your CPU-Z Memory tab and of one of the module slots selected in the SPD tab so someone could help select better ram for you.

Reactions: phoenyx
Solution

Crucial 8GB RAM

Thanks!
What you want is a 2x2666 kit.
You do not want 2 separate 2666 sticks.
Your link shows a single stick.
You do not want to buy 2 of those.

16GB is ample for most users why do you need more?

phoenyx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
Depending on the specs of the ram you have already, you could just buy another 2x8GB 2666 kit, but you have much better chance of full compatibility buying a 2x16GB kit for 32GB total. You will be told by other people here not to mix ram kits, but there is usually no way to know for sure if they will work together. Slower speed mixed kits usually have a much better chance of working without issues, no guarantees it will work. You can even add the 2x8GB kit back for even more ram if you get a 2x16GB kit and it may work fine. There is no harm in trying it.

Download CPU-Z and get the timings from the SPD tab and make note of the timings for 2666 and try to get something as close as possible to those numbers. Lower CL( cas latency) is better, but the motherboard will change speed and timings to match the slowest installed module. If Dell cheaped out, you likely were given 2666 CL17, but you might have got CL15. You could post a screen shot of your CPU-Z Memory tab and of one of the module slots selected in the SPD tab so someone could help select better ram for you.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I had a feeling its prob better to take the old out and start new with 2x16GB even though it's more expensive option. I didn't realise there were things such as 'timings' to consider as well. I just thought if the basic specs were the same it would be fine. I will install and run this CPU-Z you mentioned and post the results here, and perhaps someone would be kind enough to recommend a suitable memory from an onlinr retailer that would match the 8GB. I'll also consider just starting a fresh with 2x16GB as you suggested! As I'd be taking the oldones out would it matter what spec the 2x16GB were, as long as they matched the DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM of the original?!

phoenyx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
What you want is a 2x2666 kit.
You do not want 2 separate 2666 sticks.
Your link shows a single stick.
You do not want to buy 2 of those.

16GB is ample for most users why do you need more?

Many thanks for the reply :) I wanted to increase my RAM beacuse Im a photographer/filmmaker and use Adobe Preimiere, After FX and Photoshop. Sometimes I can often have them open at the same time. I acually bought this machine last year bearing that in mind with a decent spec, i think it was one of Dell's highest specs of XPS at the time, but I thought having extra RAM might be a good idea as reading up on what other similar artists in the industry have, they seem to have a hell of a lot more! I believe 16GB is minimum and standard from what I'm told.

Im sorry, Im not sure what you you mean by a 2x 2666 kit over two singles. It's not the same thing and you need to buy a 'kit' of two together that are specifically designed to work together?!
Thanks

Many thanks for the reply :) I wanted to increase my RAM beacuse Im a photographer/filmmaker and use Adobe Preimiere, After FX and Photoshop. Sometimes I can often have them open at the same time. I acually bought this machine last year bearing that in mind with a decent spec, i think it was one of Dell's highest specs of XPS at the time, but I thought having extra RAM might be a good idea as reading up on what other similar artists in the industry have, they seem to have a hell of a lot more! I believe 16GB is minimum and standard from what I'm told.

Im sorry, Im not sure what you you mean by a 2x 2666 kit over two singles. It's not the same thing and you need to buy a 'kit' of two together that are specifically designed to work together?!
Thanks
2 singles may not play nice together that's why you want a kit of 2.
Example.
https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g26c16u4b/ct16793971
or
https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k16g26c16u4b/ct16796095

As I'd be taking the oldones out would it matter what spec the 2x16GB were, as long as they matched the DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM of the original?!
Your CPU supports a max of 2666MT/s, so you could get any 2666 kit, but a kit with better timings would likely be a waste of money because it looks like your bios doesn't support XMP settings. Faster speeds or lower timings will just run at the default maximum speed and timings the motherboard bios supports. If you downloaded CPU-Z, check for the ram Brand and Part number on the SPD tab and the current speed and timings on the Memory tab. You are better off just buying the same spec ram in higher capacity instead of buying more expensive lower cas latency ram like 2666 CL16.

phoenyx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
Your CPU supports a max of 2666MT/s, so you could get any 2666 kit, but a kit with better timings would likely be a waste of money because it looks like your bios doesn't support XMP settings. Faster speeds or lower timings will just run at the default maximum speed and timings the motherboard bios supports. If you downloaded CPU-Z, check for the ram Brand and Part number on the SPD tab and the current speed and timings on the Memory tab. You are better off just buying the same spec ram in higher capacity instead of buying more expensive lower cas latency ram like 2666 CL16.

Ah i see what you mean about timings and system limitations. Thanks for the advice, I def think buying a new set of 2x16GB is prob the best option too. I'll download the CPU-Z to check the current ones and try to get as close as possible :)

phoenyx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014

I installed CPU-Z and got the following results..

SPD Mem

If you could point me in the direction of suitable 2x16GB as an example buy that would be great thanks!

I installed CPU-Z and got the following results..

SPD Mem

If you could point me in the direction of suitable 2x16GB as an example buy that would be great thanks!
Just look for 2x16GB DDR4 2666 CL19. Supply is low for kits with those specs in my region and usually people would be buying faster ram. I don't know how good the supply is in your region, but it might not be out of stock in your region.

If your motherboard actually has four slots, you are more likely to find a 2x8GB kit in stock at lower prices, so I would just buy a 2666 CL19 2x8GB kit and add it to what is installed. It will likely work fine and you can always send it back for a refund if it doesn't work.

phoenyx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
Just look for 2x16GB DDR4 2666 CL19. Supply is low for kits with those specs in my region and usually people would be buying faster ram. I don't know how good the supply is in your region, but it might not be out of stock in your region.

If your motherboard actually has four slots, you are more likely to find a 2x8GB kit in stock at lower prices, so I would just buy a 2666 CL19 2x8GB kit and add it to what is installed. It will likely work fine and you can always send it back for a refund if it doesn't work.

Yes the Motherboard has 4 slots! Thanks for the advice :)

phoenyx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014

I found this: 2x 8GB RAM in stock on Crucial.com which looks fine (as you say getting 2x16GB is quite hard), so i'll prob go for that as I think it's the right type!?

I found this: 2x 8GB RAM in stock on Crucial.com which looks fine (as you say getting 2x16GB is quite hard), so i'll prob go for that as I think it's the right type!?

I found this 2x16GB kit through the crucial UK site if you would rather still have 2x16GB. As of writting this, there were 4 left in stock. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C4VGJL3

If you get that 2x16GB kit, you can try running your original kit with it for 48GB total.

phoenyx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
I found this 2x16GB kit through the crucial UK site if you would rather still have 2x16GB. As of writting this, there were 4 left in stock. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C4VGJL3

If you get that 2x16GB kit, you can try running your original kit with it for 48GB total.

Ah great, thanks, never thought about Amazon! looks a great deal and idea, will definitely consider it cheers :)