[SOLVED] Memory Upgrade

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello,

I'm doing a memory upgrade (to 16GB) on a HD81M-DS2V motherboard. I'm slightly confused with memory types and their terminology and need some verification, but as far as I have researched, it looks like it'll work.

So far, the computer has a single Crucial BG112TM.8w 8GB module which is PC3-12800 @ 1600MHz. UDIMM.
And... I'm looking to install a Kingstone KCP316ND8/8 8GB which is DIMM (Not UDIMM, like the Crucial module), but is PC3-12800U, so the U is elsewhere this time.

As far as I can see, I'm looking at the same kind of modules, except the U, which marks the module as Non-ECC unbuffered, is placed differently but means the exact same thing. Is this right? Will things work out?

Last edited:
Solution
They're both unbuffered modules... this type of module is used on consumer boards and is referenced both as UDIMM or DIMM, it's the same.

You might have another possible problem though... mixing and matching memory modules is never a good ideea. Kits are tested together beforehand, it's certain that they'll work together.

Coupling 2 different modules with the same characteristics will usually work, but there's a slight chance that they won't run together. Even getting a module identical to your already installed one is not guaranteed to work 100%.

If you can return the Kingston module, then it's worth the try, I guess.
They're both unbuffered modules... this type of module is used on consumer boards and is referenced both as UDIMM or DIMM, it's the same.

You might have another possible problem though... mixing and matching memory modules is never a good ideea. Kits are tested together beforehand, it's certain that they'll work together.

Coupling 2 different modules with the same characteristics will usually work, but there's a slight chance that they won't run together. Even getting a module identical to your already installed one is not guaranteed to work 100%.

Solution

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016

Right, okay, I see. You are essentially saying that combinations, even with identical characteristics, are never guaranteed to work.

Well, I suppose it's worth a shot. £60 for a 16 gigabyte kit is just too expensive. I can get the Kingstone module for just £20 and then pray to Lord Electron for success.