[SOLVED] Memory upgrading dilemma

kargil

Reputable
Oct 16, 2017
Hello!

I would like to ask your help to answer my memory related dilemma.
My pc config is quite old but still good enough for my needs (the cpu is an i7 2600k and the vga is a gtx 1070) except the 8GB RAM. I’d like to increase the amount of RAM, but the proper type of memory which is in my pc, is no longer available so I need some advice which type of memory should i choose.

My motherboard is an Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3 and the RAM is 2*4 GB Corsair Vengeance (DDR3 1866mhz CL9).
Because of dual channel I have to consider the RAM speed and RAM latency of the memory modules in the same pair, but can it cause any problems if the size of the other pair is different from the first one? Because as I’ve looked in the shoops here, I could buy a Patriot 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Viper 3 Series Kit (2x8GB) CL9 Blue for a good price.

What do you think, this woud work well in my config? Thank you very much your help and advice! :)

Solution
Generally with ddr3, you'll be fine mixing, especially if you're not overclocking it to 1866.

Otherwise, I would get a set of 8GBx4=32GB if you want consistent performance, and I'd get it now before they stop all production on ddr3--then prices will jump.
Mixing ram is always a gamble.
It might work , it might not.

Generally with ddr3, you'll be fine mixing, especially if you're not overclocking it to 1866.

Otherwise, I would get a set of 8GBx4=32GB if you want consistent performance, and I'd get it now before they stop all production on ddr3--then prices will jump.

Solution