Question Memory usage at 74% while running no games

Sep 8, 2019
Hey, so I've been having this problem with my memory for a while. I can close every running application and i'll still be at about 40% memory usage. I have scanned with Malwarebytes and avast and there are no viruses on my computer. I have 8 gigabytes of DDR4 ram and I'm very confused as to why this has been happening. Should I get more ram or is there something wrong with my PC?

First off, your memory usage looks fine. Secondly, Windows does a couple things that make memory usage higher than a casual user might expect:

1. Windows 10 uses a process called prefetch to keep your most-used apps loaded into memory before you actually pull them up, as space allows.
  2. Even though you close an app, the core of the app can stay in memory for quite a while for faster execution the next time you start it, again as space allows.

Both of these processes are secondary to needed RAM for, in this case, a game. So if your game requires more RAM than is free at any given time, Windows tells 1 and 2 to forget enough data to make room for the game.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

TRENDING THREADS