bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I have ddr3 1600 memory 1.5 volt. I was just looking at the voltage monitor in the gigabyte's bios and it is showing a steady voltage of 1.6 volts for the memory. I have everything set to auto in the bios for memory clock, timings and voltage. Is this something to be concerned with? I know it's not a huge over voltage, but is there something wrong on the motherboard that could get more out of whack with time?

Thanks,

Bob

If you are overclocking the CPU then IMO: 1. Manually set the DRAM Frequency (Multiplier), 2. CAS Timings (Quick), and 3. DRAM Voltage, 4. Other misc voltages (QPI/VTT/VCCSA) depending on the CPU/Chipset; otherwise use the XMP. On Gigabyte in particular XMP doesn't always have desired results.

Setting the DRAM Voltage should keep the voltage steady.

Q - What RAM Set or Sets? ; Provide Link(s)
Q - What CPU?
Q - What MOBO?

Next, anytime modifying the RAM settings I strongly advise creating a Memtest86+ boot CD/DVD, use the ISO/zip file, and test the RAM for 4 passes; download - http://www.memtest.org/

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005

As stated in my original post I am doing NO overclocking to the memory. The spd for the ram says 1.5 volt but the voltage monitor shows it is receiving 1.6 volts. I looked at the overclocking/manual voltage setting options in my bios, but it only allows me to increase voltage not reduce it, so it doesn't look like I can manually fix it.
As to your questions. I have 4gb(2 X 2gb) of gskill f312800 cl8 2gbxm memory. My CPU is an Amd 6100fx black ed. and my motherboard is a GA-880gm usb3.

I said, "If you are overclocking the CPU..." I've seen DRAM values get too high with only OC'ing the CPU and RAM values set to 'Auto.' Also, XMP is not available on AMD, so the choices are to set the RAM manually in the BIOS.

You avoided the Q/A about the CPU? Again, are you OC'ing the CPU?

RAM: F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM - http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=350
DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.50v
CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz
MOBO: GA-880GM-USB3 (There's 2 revisions 1.x and 3.1); Q - which one?
> GA-880GM-USB3 (REV 1.x) doesn't support any AMD FX CPUs
> GA-880GM-USB3 (REV 3.1) requires FD BIOS; FE is the latest.

Again, recap, repeats:
Q1 - RAM, is the F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM the RAM?
Q2 - RAM what DIMM slots? Blue or White?
Q3 - MOBO, is GA-880GM-USB3 (REV 3.1) the correct MOBO?
Q4 - CPU, are you OC'ing the CPU?

Looking up and second guessing doesn't help you and it takes up my time.

IF you want, after answering/reaffirming Q1~Q4, I'll be more than happy to provide you the optimized BIOS settings for the RAM. The Default 'SPD' for your CPU is up to the highest 'SPD' not including XMP encoding to DDR3-1866 which is the CPU's default RAM frequency.

kapers

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I looked at the overclocking/manual voltage setting options in my bios, but it only allows me to increase voltage not reduce it, so it doesn't look like I can manually fix it.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
Q1 - RAM, is the F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM the RAM?
YES As you stated, the ram is XMP ready, but not an option available in the
Gigabyte bios, so it's defaulting to CAS 9, not the XMP CAS 8.

Q2 - RAM what DIMM slots? Blue or White?
Blue
Q3 - MOBO, is GA-880GM-USB3 (REV 3.1) the correct MOBO?
Yes 3.1, I have latest bios
Q4 - CPU, are you OC'ing the CPU?
CPU is overclocked, but it's an unlocked CPU with just a modest overclock so I've only changed the multiplier. No change to voltage or bus speed was necessary. Even if I go into bios and remove the overclock on the CPU it does nothing to the dram voltage.

Sorry about not mentioning the CPU overclock, I didn't think it was relavent, but I should have replied to your request.

Thanks,

Bob

First post, first (5) words, yes it's relevant. I don't give a rip if you're running on LN2 and your CPU is to the point of blowing apart; its your CPU. I'm not with Gigabyte, Corsair, or anything but a person like you.

I suspected an OC just because of the issue/question you're having per this Thread. I needed to know more about your OC just so the following works, and there's countless ways to OC -- so I am assuming you left the FSB -> 200MHz (stock) and not some other value like 240MHz -- gigabyte uses Multipliers. 200*8 = 1600 but 240*8 = 1920. Further, running DDR3-1600 or higher on AMD Phenom 4 or 6 core vs FX are totally different, and requires a FSB -> 240MHz so I needed to know your CPU. It was like pull'in teeth ;)

Again, assuming FSB 200MHz, BIOS:

Set Memory Clock -> Manual
Memory Clock -> x8
DRAM Configuration /Enter
DDR3 Timing Items -> Manual; Quick if an option
1T/2T Command Timing -> 2T
CAS# latency -> 8
RAS to CAS R/W Delay -> 8
Row Precharge Time -> 8
Minimum RAS Active Time -> 24
/Remainder on Auto, do NOT use the XMP values/
DDR3 Voltage Control -> +0.050v ; this will lock-in the DRAM to 1.55v which is fine.

Save and Exit = Yes

footnote: I have an unlocked SB-E CPU and I have OC's with and without Strap values (like FSB) so it throws-off all of the Memory settings as shown above. Meaning, you can OC your FX with a 200MHz or 240MHz FSB, etc.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I went into the bios and tried to manually set the ddr voltage to +.05 as you suggested and that showed something interesting. After changing to the +.05 the bios showed the voltage setting as 1.65 volts not 1.55v as you expected. It looks to me as if the gigabyte bios thinks this memory has a default voltage of 1.6 volts, not the 1.5 that the SPD shows. I originally thought the voltage regulator might be out of whack and trying to provide 1.5 volts but failing with 1.6 volts delivered, but now it looks as if it simply believes this memory expects 1.6 volts. I'm still in my warranty period and I thought if the voltage regulator was not working properly I could still get a replacement board, but that no longer looks to be the issue. I suspect I'm fine with the 1.6 volts and I guess if its going to up the voltage on me anyway, maybe I will play around with over clocking. FYI, yes the system bus is at 200, so the memory is receiving exactly the 200X8 (1600), that it expects. Any thoughts on the dangers (if any) of a .1 volt over voltage?

Thanks,

Bob

DDR3 Voltage Control -> -0.050v to -0.10v

The F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM is defiantly 1.50v RAM, as to 'why' 8/10 a BIOS BUG <or> 1/10 RAM's 'SPD' BUG <or> 1/10 DIMM slots Bule vs White. Try the WHITE DIMM Slots.

Normally, the RAM is installed:
CPU: | RAM | RAM | blank | blank | ; Blue
for DDR3-1800 or faster:
// Specs: Support for DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules (Note 2) //
CPU: | blank | blank | RAM | RAM | ; White

Q - On the CPU-z 'SPD' tab, see below, what are ALL of the Voltages across the bottom?
Q - I assume you have the latest BIOS (FE)?

CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
softwares-cpuz-05.jpg

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
CPUZ shows 1.50V across all timings. Yes I have bios FE. The manual for the motherboard says to use dimm slots 3 and 4(white) when using 1833 memory, but 1600 should have been OK in the slots 1 and 2(blue slots), I'll try swapping my ram to the white slots tomorrow, but it really is looking like a bios bug to me. You never mentioned if you thought the +.1 volt over would be harmful to the ram over time?

Thanks,

Bob

ROBAXET

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

So little tolerance?

Actually, I have a RAM problem; mine is rated 1.5 volts and it need at least 1.6 volts at stock speed.

I started a tread not aware I had a memory voltage issue, that it needed such an intolerable amount of voltage...

"Can't fill 2 mem slots without crash" is the title of my tread, if you want to help...

DUH ME!? I meant -> RAM has a toleration of ±0.20v and ±0.30v begins to either damage (+) or render the system unstable.

Example, 1.50v RAM can often function between 1.40v~1.70v and 1.80v will degrade the RAM, and somewhere between 1.30v~1.40v it simply will fail or produce errors i.e. Post Failure.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
Well, thanks for all your help. I switched the ram to the white sockets and as expected, no change in voltage. I'll pop a tech support email to Gigabyte. I don't know how reactive they are to these type of reports, but maybe it will spur a bios update somewhere down the line.

Bob

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I sent a tech support email to Gigabyte telling them their motherboard was supplying the wrong voltage to my ram. Surprisingly, they didn't seem to care and just replied back that .1v was within tolerance of what memory can deal with. I guess they don't care if their bios reads SPD's wrong as long as its not too far off.

Bob

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005

I think I let this thread sit too long. You've forgotten that my motherboard won't let me decrease from stock voltage only add to it. So the memory will just have to live with 1.6v instead of 1.5v. From what you've said, and what I've read, a .1v voltage increase isn't going to harm it. On a side note, I tried something else you suggested and dropped the CAS latency from 9... to 8-8-8-24-34 and I saw no increase in ram performance. Gigabyte's memory tweak has several other latency settings beside those main ones and I suspect those need to be tweaked as well before I'm going to see an improvement. Probably just best to leave well enough alone. It is tough seeing the XMP CAS setting for 8 in the SPD listing and not be able to access them easily from my AMD based motherboard.

Bob

Hmm...I thought you could either +0.10v or -0.10v i.e. positive or negative values?! It's been a while since I looked at your manual...

The only CAS Timings that I recommend 99.99% of the users to touch are the (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS-CMD) or 8-8-8-24-2N and the remainder as Auto. Your RAM is rated for DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.50v and should run rated if using (1) kit.

Per your last sentence, I assume you meant "...from my Intel based..."; XMP is an Intel thing. Frankly, I rarely use XMP and I'm more in the habit of setting the RAM manually regardless of the platform. IMO less issues.

/edit - as far as speed, no you won't 'feel' any differences unless you're a Borg, but if you run benchmarks there will be some minor differences: 3DMark11, SuperPi, PCMark7, etc or anything involving RAM. Running regular stuff I can't tell the differences between 3.2GHz and 4.8GHz OC, but I see them in the tests.