Memory write/read error Dell BSOD

hstorm101

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hey guys,
I was trying to help out a friend who has a Dell Inspiron 1525 that does not start up properly. When I turn it on, it says "Memory write/read failure at 0004D400. read EB046B04 expecting Eb04EB04. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory." This happens a split second after it shows me the bootup screen, and it does not allow me or give me the option of entering BIOS.

So I open up the laptop, see that theres a 2gb stick in Slot A and a 1gb stick in slot B. I try every combination, just using a single stick, in either A, or in B. I use only one stick at a time to see if one of the sticks has gone bad. So the computer is able to get into BIOS, and I am able to see the hardware specs, bootup profile etc. I see that the laptop sees both the 1gb and 2gb sticks while i'm doing individual testing. So does that mean the sticks are fine? If they were damaged, I wouldn't see them in that screen, or would I?

So now with a single stick in (either 1gb or 2gb), I don't see the memory write/read error, but it gives me a BSOD with a bunch of words mostly saying that the problem is likely a driver issue blah blah blah. Press F8 and boot into safe mode.

I try getting into safe mode but it still gives me the same BSOD message.

Note that this happens with both individual sticks.

So I'm thoroughly confused. I put both sticks back in, (I try switching the order of the sticks in the slots, but both orders give me the same result) but then it gives me the original error again: memory write/read failure blah blah blah.

What do you guys think I should try next? Could it be a hard drive failure? Or is this a memory issue?

samfelis

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I have the same issue w/ a Dell Inspiron 17. I even replaced the RAM sticks and got the same issue. I took it to a local computer store and they indicated that if the RAM wasn't the culprit, it was more than likely a short in the motherboard. Makes more sense to buy a new laptop than replace the motherboard in a five year old laptop, that's for sure, so that's what I did.

I still have the old one and every now and again it will turn on and work. Actually, once I got it working, it worked for about a month before it wouldn't work again.

I *can* boot into safe mode, but that does me no good as the screen res is way too small. Because of that, I don't think it's a HD issue (more like the mobo issue the computer store pointed out). One thing that makes me wonder is that it only happens when the Windows XP screen appears, making me think it's a driver of some sort that's not loaded when booting into safe mode.

I hope there's a solution out there, b/c I'd like to resolve mine as well!