kytown

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Just a simple question about memory.

I just bought a 1 gig memory stick (400mhz) and my computer already has 1 512 stick (333mhz), ......can i mix the two, is there a down side to mixing the two? will the 333mhz stick lower the 400 stick down several levels? or ...will there be a definate improvement?

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
its always best in the interest of speed and reliability to use 2 of the same modules , rather than 2 different ones, if the modules r different speeds u wont be able to use dual channel memory configuration which can double ur RAM speed (not effectively, it doesnt actually double). There is another downside to using two different RAM modules - they will only go as fast as the slowest module, so ur 400mhz module will only go at 333mhz if u mix em. Although by increasing ur ram u will almost always get a noticeable improvement in performance - but that is say between 256 and 512 (big difference) , between 512 and 1gb (big difference), between 1gb and 2gb (not much of a difference unless ur heavily multitasking + games at same time) , so i am pretty sure u will get a performance increase if the 2 ram sticks work together , RAM can be very fickle ,also if ur MOBO dunt like it it might not work at all with mixing different RAM modules, u might be fine with just the 1gb stick and selling the 333mhz thats wot i wud do