Question Memory_management BSOD every startup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
So as title says i have memory_management BSOD every time i start my pc. And that means every morning when I wake up and the pc has been off and plugged to wall or every time get back from work and the pc has been plugged off the wall.
I've tried everything that i can find for fix to it online, updating my gpu drivers, checking my OS files, doing Mem test. I even installed new sata cables between my 2 ssd and 1 hdd and the mobo.
My old pc with i7-7700k and z270 mobo used to work flawless but then i upgraded to i9-9900k and z370 mobo and that had the problem that the pc wouldn't boot to windows.
It only started the lights in my pc and didnt go any further, and that combination forced me to force shut down the pc and try again about 3-5 time depending on the day. Then i ordered a new mobo (z390) thinking that it might be the mobos fault.
Now we are stuck with that BSOD screen. Usually it is the Mem,management but once it was the Kernel data inpage error without the driver that is giving the error.
Any help woud be helpfull, would really like my pc to boot on the first start. Also gonna post pc specs down below because i know someone will ask them.

Pc Specs: I9-9900k in Strix z390-f gaming with 32gb of hyperx fury ddr4 2666mhz. 500gb 970 evo M.2 as os sdd, 2 860 eov 1tb as game storage, 1 2tb hdd as mass memory. Gpu is asus strix 2080ti

Colif

Win 11 Master
its weird that last 2 errors you got are both associated with win 7.

So its not a corrupted file causing the installer not to work, as DISM cleans image files and SFC uses those same files to repair bad files on install.

I would try the repair install before a clean one.

I wonder if this all caused by you using 2 different ram packs. Maybe not the odd windows behaviour but all the errors up until now. MIght want to run with 16gb for a while and see if it makes any difference error wise

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Well i would try repair install, but i honestly cant download anything with the media creation tool, one fix would be disabling or enabling firewall but apparently my firewall cant change some settings now and pops up error.

My old mobo like 2 weeks ago with 16gb of ram didn't do BSOD it just turned the lights on and didn't boot up to windows, it alway took 3-5 force shut downs to boot that to windows, so i think its more of software problem thank ram.

I have some version of windows 10 on my current USB-stick but i dont know if that is corrupted or did i just have a bad installation

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Alright Windows is installed! firewall looks normal so thats a plus sign, gonna install Basic softwares that i need, like steam,origin,streamlabs obs and discord. I can get by those today and that should show, is some of the other programs cause of the BSOD or was it a bad win install

Edit: Media creation tool is also working so gonna update usb stick too, it is a few weeks old but might aswell in the mean time while downloading games

Last edited:

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Alright started up pc. Got system thread BSOD. Turned of pc and got recovery option. It didnt recover the first time. Re boot still recovery and this time it did recover put also deleted everything i installed so yay no more memory bsod. Also it said it made a log somewhere about that failed recovery. Cant remember the folder but i will try to find that and also upload the minidump

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Newest Minidump! :https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wj40oxkrvdnidw/040319-6937-01.dmp?dl=0

Still trying to find that failed revocery log, name started with scr or sxr or something

Edit: found it! srtTrail was the name and inside was "Recent driver installation or update may prevent system startup."

Also gonna got with older gpu driver. 417.71 - WHQL Tue Jan 15, 2019 because i still had my old 7700k then with no problems

Last edited:

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Well now i cant install steam or discord or etc since they think that they are installed but in reality they arent.

Edit got everything installe once again, had to do bunch file deleting etc

Last edited:

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Alright let my pc sit for 15 mins turned off and no boot problems, either its good and the System_thread_exceptio_not_handled was a one time thing even tho it has happened before or it didn't sat long enough.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wow, 7 replies since i last spoke...

you shouldn't get any BSOD on a brand new install. Makes me think its hardware

Try removing 1 set of ram and see if it makes any difference as all the errors could be caused by variations in timings. There is a reason ram is sold in sets, the sticks are specifically selected because they work together. 2 x 16gb sets like yours might say they exact but the more sticks you try to match, the harder it becomes.

if you keep getting errors on just 1 set of ram, I will look elsewhere.

everytime I find this file name - srtTrail - I almost always end up having to suggest a clean install.

I will ask @gardenman to look at dumps for me.

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Wow, 7 replies since i last spoke...

you shouldn't get any BSOD on a brand new install. Makes me think its hardware

Try removing 1 set of ram and see if it makes any difference as all the errors could be caused by variations in timings. There is a reason ram is sold in sets, the sticks are specifically selected because they work together. 2 x 16gb sets like yours might say they exact but the more sticks you try to match, the harder it becomes.

if you keep getting errors on just 1 set of ram, I will look elsewhere.

everytime I find this file name - srtTrail - I almost always end up having to suggest a clean install.

I will ask @gardenman to look at dumps for me.
Copy this. will rip one of the kits out tonight before going to bed!

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/jktj.html

File information:040319-6937-01.dmp (Apr 3 2019 - 02:14:07)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32kbase.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Ok so drinking my coffee now. Started the pc and the lights turn on and the fans activate and thats it. This is now same than it was with the old z370 mobo, third force shut down was the charm, after that it booted and got stuck in the windows before bios stuff and things, basically the screen what show the ssd's or hhd's and mouses and soforth. Said something about pc started on safe mode because of last post unstability or something and that it might be caused by bad bios setting or force shutdown or something. Sorry for the typos woke up like 10 mins ago
Edit. Turned off everything from the startup except avast component. Maybe there is some program that causes the turning on without like actually booting. Gonna drink few cups of coffee and go through my phone and let the pc sit and start it again.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
The start up thing + the WHEA error are clues its hardware causing this - WHEA errors almost always either hardware or overclocking software but you don't have any of that installed (same sort of with getting BSOD right after a clean install)... but what hardware.

I assume you aren't overclocked? as if so, remove it. Overclocking can cause WHEA errors.

SO you have new motherboard and same thing used to happen on old (with regards to startup)? So its something else in PC causing the problem since replacing motherboard didn't fix it.

If I repeat steps I already suggested, just ignore them

Try running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

MIght want to use the bootable version and not use windows - http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_UEFI/

I seem to recall you saying you already run memtest but just in case - Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Run samsung Magician and check smart out on 3 ssd (it won't work for the hdd)

What PSU do you have?
What corsair gear have you got?

There isn't really anything else left in PC? Try unplugging the Occulus while we figure out cause

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
The start up thing + the WHEA error are clues its hardware causing this - WHEA errors almost always either hardware or overclocking software but you don't have any of that installed (same sort of with getting BSOD right after a clean install)... but what hardware.

I assume you aren't overclocked? as if so, remove it. Overclocking can cause WHEA errors.

SO you have new motherboard and same thing used to happen on old (with regards to startup)? So its something else in PC causing the problem since replacing motherboard didn't fix it.

If I repeat steps I already suggested, just ignore them

Try running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

MIght want to use the bootable version and not use windows - http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_UEFI/

I seem to recall you saying you already run memtest but just in case - Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Run samsung Magician and check smart out on 3 ssd (it won't work for the hdd)

What PSU do you have?
What corsair gear have you got?

There isn't really anything else left in PC? Try unplugging the Occulus while we figure out cause

Oculus is only plugged in when i play. Currently running windows mem diagnostic. My power supply is evga super Nova g2 750w and only corsair product i have is my keyboard but the icue got deleted yesterday after the recovery. Will run that cpu thing once wmd is done. Not running any real overclocks. Only disabled restriction in bios for the cpu but i can turn that to intel one so its basically back to normal. After getting the pc to boot there is no problems with restarts or anything unless i let the pc sit for a while so the problem is also time based

Also theres no i9-9900k on ipdt valid processors do i still run it

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't read dumps so would need to wait for gardenman anyway. It shouldn't be software as its only a brand new install.

only other thing you have attached is wifi card, is that USB or internal? Yes, I am guessing really... it has got oldest driver and WHEA can be any hardware.

WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it. It is the only error you have had that points directly at hardware, rest can be both

this is always a possible cause -
guys windows 10 needs hpet (high precision event timer) enabled in bios to be stable.
if your seeing posts of multiple random bsods with no apparent connection, i found hpet solved em.
same with black screen lockup with repeating audio when games crash.

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
I can't read dumps so would need to wait for gardenman anyway. It shouldn't be software as its only a brand new install.

only other thing you have attached is wifi card, is that USB or internal? Yes, I am guessing really... it has got oldest driver and WHEA can be any hardware.

WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it. It is the only error you have had that points directly at hardware, rest can be both

this is always a possible cause -
The Wi-Fi card is internal. Where would that hept be in bios
edit, found out that asus mobos dont have hpet option in bios, but it is enabled in device manager

Last edited:

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
HPET - Good question... I looked... I have asked person who suggested it, where it might actually be in the BIOS

Motherboard manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E14842_ROG_STRIX_Z390-F_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Are you running Asus Multicore enhancement? it is on by auto so I assume you are (page 3-16 of manual), I guess that is the Asus thing you said you were running?
Yeah thats what i was using but hear me here. Got a bsod middle of browsing internet code CLOCK_WATCHDOG-TIMEOUT. After that i got whea again. Gonna take the wifi card out

Colif

Win 11 Master
at this rate need to strip PC down to bare bones and only have the essentials attached and see if it still BSOD.

Need to figure out what isn't the cause, so we can narrow it down to what is. I am not saying right now, I don't want to waste your time.

But if it still BSOD with only 1 known ram stick in PC, CPU, 1 SSD and PSU, then it has to be one of those things,

WHEA and Clock Watchdog timeout are both hardware errors.

I have asked for more assistance

wakefulwand

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
at this rate need to strip PC down to bare bones and only have the essentials attached and see if it still BSOD.

Need to figure out what isn't the cause, so we can narrow it down to what is. I am not saying right now, I don't want to waste your time.

But if it still BSOD with only 1 known ram stick in PC, CPU, 1 SSD and PSU, then it has to be one of those things,

WHEA and Clock Watchdog timeout are both hardware errors.
Well poop. Currently running Ipdt, no errors so far

Colif

Win 11 Master
its rarely the CPU, just had to check. Don't really want it to be CPU.
Could be PSU as if its not supplying reliable power, can cause all sorts of errors
Could be ssd, just corrupt data
Could be Ram
Could be motherboard but they are difficult to test and its why we do everything else first

Hence why I suggested tests. These are all the hardware that normally has anything to do with data.

I wish I could point at something and say... thats it. There are people around who can read dumps and understand them better than I do, but they aren't always around... i haven't seen 2 of them for a few months now.