Question Memory_Management BSOD on New PC

Jul 13, 2019
Hello,

I recently built a PC, after about a month of gaming I keep running into the memory_management BSOD multiple times a day. I have the ASUS Prime B450M mother board. I have 2 Corsair 8192 mb 2133mhz ram sticks so that’s 16GB, I have ran the Windows memory diagnostic test. Found nothing. I have ran memtest86 and it found nothing. I originally had my sticks in slot 1 and 3 and my MOBO manual says slots 2 and 4 and I switched to that and it still has problems. Could my ram sticks he to strong for the low end MOBO? Could my ram sticks be faulty even when it says they aren’t?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello,

I recently built a PC, after about a month of gaming I keep running into the memory_management BSOD multiple times a day. I have the ASUS Prime B450M mother board. I have 2 Corsair 8192 mb 2133mhz ram sticks so that’s 16GB, I have ran the Windows memory diagnostic test. Found nothing. I have ran memtest86 and it found nothing. I originally had my sticks in slot 1 and 3 and my MOBO manual says slots 2 and 4 and I switched to that and it still has problems. Could my ram sticks he to strong for the low end MOBO? Could my ram sticks be faulty even when it says they aren’t?
They could still be faulty, but if memtest is saying there are no errors, much less likely.

Just remember Memory_Management doesn't mean "RAM sticks are faulty". It means multiple things. In effect it means that your RAM COULD be faulty, but more likely, that a driver has caused the management of that memory to cause a fault.

In fact there are over 40 different argument parameters for the Memory Management bugcheck, meaning basically that the MM BSOD, has over 40 different sub-types of problem, ranging from boot loader problems, PTE corruption, incorrect address referenced etc.

Also remember that Memory Management can also be referring to the virtual memory space on your storage drive, not your RAM. So to get to the bottom of this one, we'd need the dump file and relevant details - please see this guide:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019
They could still be faulty, but if memtest is saying there are no errors, much less likely.

Just remember Memory_Management doesn't mean "RAM sticks are faulty". It means multiple things. In effect it means that your RAM COULD be faulty, but more likely, that a driver has caused the management of that memory to cause a fault.

In fact there are over 40 different argument parameters for the Memory Management bugcheck, meaning basically that the MM BSOD, has over 40 different sub-types of problem, ranging from boot loader problems, PTE corruption, incorrect address referenced etc.

Also remember that Memory Management can also be referring to the virtual memory space on your storage drive, not your RAM. So to get to the bottom of this one, we'd need the dump file and relevant details - please see this guide:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/
Hello,

Just checking back here. I’ve wiped my PC sand reinstalled Windows 10. I haven’t ran into any issues since, so I wonder if any files were corrupted that caused my troubles. I also only have 2 fans in my computer. The one my case came with and the fan for my CPU. My one buddy suggested that my computer could be possibly overheating and causing the memory in the RAM to get messed up.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello,

Just checking back here. I’ve wiped my PC sand reinstalled Windows 10. I haven’t ran into any issues since, so I wonder if any files were corrupted that caused my troubles. I also only have 2 fans in my computer. The one my case came with and the fan for my CPU. My one buddy suggested that my computer could be possibly overheating and causing the memory in the RAM to get messed up.
Memory Management errors are less likely to occur with heat issues, you'll usually encounter something like a WHEA or Hardware Fail error in those cases.

in your case, it sooner sounds like a third party module was conflicting with MS and accessing memory in a way when it shouldn't have. Most Memory Management is software/drivers. So if the issue has gone away, it's just a case of not redownloading the misbehaving driver, or ensuring everything is up to date date as it should be.

For example on Intel boards, many people update the BIOS, without updating Intel Management Engine, which can cause various BSOD as the 2 should be "aligned" in a way.

Jul 13, 2019
Memory Management errors are less likely to occur with heat issues, you'll usually encounter something like a WHEA or Hardware Fail error in those cases.

in your case, it sooner sounds like a third party module was conflicting with MS and accessing memory in a way when it shouldn't have. Most Memory Management is software/drivers. So if the issue has gone away, it's just a case of not redownloading the misbehaving driver, or ensuring everything is up to date date as it should be.

For example on Intel boards, many people update the BIOS, without updating Intel Management Engine, which can cause various BSOD as the 2 should be "aligned" in a way.
Yeah it’s been working fine now ever since the wipe so I am going to rule out hardware. I’m a newbie when it comes to PC’s as this is my first build. If I have major problems like this again then I’m going to take it a shop to see if I need to replace anything.