Memory_Management BSOD

nightmareix35

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Ok well a short story of my issue is this:

I do get occassional BSOD's with a 0x0A1 error with a "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" error. The error usually happens during internet browsing and Flash player utilization (youtube videos). The error usually starts with a high audio loop and then it bumps into the BSOD which forces me to reboot. I did experience a lot of random application crashing and a frequence "Aw Snap" error in the google chrome browser saying that something went wrong and the whole page couldn't be displayed.

Lately I also noticed that sometimes there are random green and pink stripes on the screen! (scary colors that make it look like the screen is cracked)!

I use an HIS Radeon HD 6870 and it runs pretty smooth and around 75C at heavy load in battlefield 3. I am running the latest drivers for the card and for you to know it is basically only 6 months old! I tested out my memory sticks (8GB kingston) and windows didn't detect anything wrong with them.

I think I could really use some help here because all these crashing and BSOD are getting very frustrating for me. The PC is relatively new these things shouldn't be happening...
If you need any more information that could help in figuring out the problem please point it out! Any help is very appreciated thanks :)

Solution
What I would try is stay away from other software in doing my un-install/re-install.
I mean, I would first d/l the latest Windows certified drivers directly from AMD/ATI website, and I would save it on my PC.
Then I would un-install the current driver and all the associated software that resides on the PC (like CCC, for example), then I would delete the folders associated with them (like c:\ATI, for example).
Finally, after the required reboots, I would install the driver package downloaded, making sure the antivirus and firewall are temporarily disabled during the install. Reboot again.

Oh, I forgot: if the above still doesn't work, I would perform a clean install of the drivers that came with that specific card on a DVD (assuming...
I prefer memtest86+ (for at least 5 passes) over windows memory checker. As for the weird colors, that seems like corrupt video ram. If you have the card OC'd, set it back to defaults. Try to stress the vide card with 3dmark or something and see if the weird colors continue. If so, the card may be bad.

nightmareix35

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Ok I did try memtest86+ and still the memory seems to be intact and fully operational flawless. The video isn't OC'd at all as I didn't feel comfortable doing so. I did stress the card like you said and the bad colors didn't appear at all, they just happen to appear when i'm using google chrome and sometimes they do appear on the Wallpaper of windows.

nightmareix35

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

That didn't solve the problem I experience another BSOD today. Same Stop code.

nightmareix35

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

I did a clean uninstall of all Graphics drivers using driver genius on the computer (after the reboot the resolution was bad). Then I downloaded the new drivers from the AMD website using the automatic detection software which downloaded and installed the latest AMD drivers 12.6 I believe. Even after doing so, a BSOD appeared; this time it happened exactly when joining a game on "Zynga poker" on facebook applications. Someone suggested me to disable the "Hardware acceleration" feature and I did. So far No crashes happened even after one hour of usage of AutoCAD 2012 and Battlefield 3.

Should I get my video card checked? Or is this just a software\driver conflict? How do I know if there are any "conflicting" drivers or software thus causing windows to crash? - like I said, this problem doesn't only happen in form of BSOD... sometimes things just decide to crash randomly with the (The problem encountered a problem and stopped working), example Windows Explorer.

And by the way, today a BSOD with a different code happened. I don't remember the code it self but I remember reading something about a NONPAGED_AREA or something like that?

What I would try is stay away from other software in doing my un-install/re-install.
I mean, I would first d/l the latest Windows certified drivers directly from AMD/ATI website, and I would save it on my PC.
Then I would un-install the current driver and all the associated software that resides on the PC (like CCC, for example), then I would delete the folders associated with them (like c:\ATI, for example).
Finally, after the required reboots, I would install the driver package downloaded, making sure the antivirus and firewall are temporarily disabled during the install. Reboot again.

Oh, I forgot: if the above still doesn't work, I would perform a clean install of the drivers that came with that specific card on a DVD (assuming you still have it...) and see how it works with that.

At this point, it seems to be an issue between Flash and ATI's drivers.

Solution

Anything which involves the color output going wrong makes me STRONGLY suspect the GPU. That being said, the BSOD code thats comming up [0x1A: Memory_Management] isn't one of the BSOD's I'd expect from a GPU failure. [I'd expect either 0x116/0x117, 0x3B, and 0xA, in that order of likelyhood].

At this point, I recommend using a different AMD driver for the GPU, even if its an older version. If the problem persists, the next step would probably to replace the GPU.

I don't know which program the OP used to test the video card, but 3Dmark usually exposes video problems.

I've seen flash not play nice before and it usually displays pink or green, but it's confined to the video window, not the desktop, which is why I said it point to the GPU.

It's definately a tricky situation, but I'd have to agree that it's most likely the GPU.

nightmareix35

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Today a new driver from ATI was released (12.8) and I thought maybe updating to it will solve any fishy things that are happening to my system. Well to my surprise, upon "uninstalling" the old drivers, a GPU related BSOD appeared. I had to reboot the computer and I noticed that the driver has been removed successfully. I completed the instillation of the rest of the ATI software and utilities. Removed any preconfigured drivers from windows, deleted any left overs and rebooted my system no problem.

Now I did a clean install of the new drivers and it seems that things are more stable. I will let you know if anything new comes up. I hope it stays this way!

nightmareix35

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

I didn't pay much attention to the exact numbers but I did some research and this turned out very familiar. I highly believe it was this one:

"ATIKMPAG.SYS 0x00000116 BSOD"

nightmareix35

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks to everyone! Your help was much appreciated and this issue turned out to be a lot simpler than it made me believe. It was more of a driver issue. After a clean uninstall and updating to the latest drivers the system is back to normal; no more random crashes, no more BSOD's and best of all no more noise and weird color stripes on the screen!

This is officially resolved. Thanks again :]]