Memtest 86+ Quick Question

sebastian7

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I have 2x2GB of Corsair XMS3 and I ran Memtest 86+ v1.70 on each individual stick. One stick gave me errors, so I put in the other one and it was fine. Just to be sure, I put the other stick back in to check for errors and none came up.

So, I put both in and have now run memtest for about 18 hours total (two nights of letting it run all night), and I have had no errors. Was the first time a fluke? I figure maybe the stick wasn't fully seated or something.

Thanks.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
The link meltenp gave you is VERY exhaustive... so if you have time to read that, go for it... if not, here's my 2 cents... you have a stable rig. Full speed ahead! You're unable to duplicate your problem... it passes Memtest86+ for hours on end... I'd say that's good enough for me!

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Just make sure you watch for "quirks". In my days of IT, I've seen it take 1 week of strait running memtest to get an error to crop up. The memory error I got was always in the same location, but *when* it occurred was random. Some times it took 2-3 days to show, but the first time it took about right on a week.

The machine I was testing took about 1 month to validate the error because of the long runs times between errors and how long I let it run after changing memory, but being IT, we had spare computers for the person who needed it, so 1 comp out of order for 1 month was nothing.

Could also be an issue with your PSU or chipset(or on-chip memory controller)