MemTest Errors From Other Source

draperies

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
I recently started receiving system crashes while working on my machine (sometimes BSOD and sometimes just a completely frozen screen image). I ran MemTest86+ and received 100s of errors (2x4GB DDR3). I ordered new RAM (2x8GB DDR3) and once again received 100s of errors with the DIMMs. Testing all 4 of the DIMMs individually I receive 100s of errors. The tests always report between 100 and 400 errors and I get errors no matter which slot I put the DIMMs into. I also receive a number of errors in that range when I run with 2 DIMMs in at the same time.

To make things worse, while running the test I noticed the CPU temps exceeding 95C. After looking at the CPU fan I noticed it was not spinning. I've ordered a new heatsink to hopefully remedy the heat issue (although I'm not sure if it's the fan or the header on the motherboard causing the problem), but I'm wondering where to go next.

Should I try replacing the RAM again? It seems unlikely to me that all 4 DIMMs are bad but I'm not really sure. Could temps that high fry the CPU or motherboard and in doing so cause the RAM errors? Everything still does work and I can get into Windows and work for awhile before the PC freezes. Could it even be a failing PSU? I'm just not sure what the best item to replace next would be.

There are two issues here and the main one to fix first is your temperatures. Continually using your system with temps at 95C will degrade the Processor in no time. Check you have the CPU heat sink connection connected to the proper CPU_header as this would cause your issue.
Memtest86+ run from a USB stick and failing the tests indicate a problem with your DIMMs and if you can, run the test in another system to eliminate that possibility as anything can happen when the CPU is overheating.

Also it is best to list your full system specs when trouble shooting these problems.