Memtest Errors, Not Sure What They Mean!?

aron311

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Hi i have been having some problems with a core 2 e6400 based system.

It was running fine and i think some memory i installed a month or so ago is faulty, i added a second GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)

its at the stated 2.1 volts running 4-4-4-12 and the rest is auto.

in the last week or so its been randomly resetting during games. its definately not the cpu causing it doesnt matter if its overclocked or at stock the same resets happen.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte 965-DQ6.

Does this memtest error categorically mean the memory is faulty? Im not sure what the error actually means too if somebody could interpret that for me it would be great!

DSC00137.jpg

thanks for the help!

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
1) First off, PLEASE POST YOUR SPECS - it makes it harder for us to assume what parts your running (i.e. Are you running 4 sticks of RAM? or 3 sticks of RAM?)

***Make sure the following is done at STOCK settings***

2) If you are running 4 sticks of RAM, make sure your Command Rate is at 2T (maybe higher? I don't know....but 2T at the very least). Retest if it wasn't.

3) TEST EACH STICK INDIVIDUALLY at the rated timings to ensure each stick is in perfect working condition.

4) Post back your results.

BTW, ANY Memtest error means SOMETHING is wrong; it can be failing memory and/or bad mobo/RAM timings/settings.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Tough question. Two single-bit errors in 4GB in an hour and forty minutes is so very minor! Of all the systems I've run Memtest on, I've only seen errors twice. In the first, there were 120 something errors on 2 GB and the PC would randomly crash about every hour. In the second, there were 12,000 something errors on 512MB and the computer only made it a few seconds into booting XP before the BSOD.

You said yourself that your crashes only started happening when you added the two RAM sticks, so do what PCKid said and test them in groups until the system doesn't crash. Maybe try bumping the voltage to 2.15 first.

-G

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006

EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID

aron311

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Cheers il retest tomorrow all the individual sticks and let you know what i find!

Its 4 sticks of RAM at the moment, definately running at 2T.

Thanks a lot peeps :)

aron311

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Hey heres an update, theres definately a faulty stick, but it only seems to happen when the system is hot and under heavy load.

As the system is running 32bit xp it cant see the majority of one stick and will almost certainly never use it, so i have put that stick in the last slot for now and although it crashes occasionally under memory tests its working fine for gaming.

So i think il leave it until i can find warranty info.

Thanks for all the help!

The memory that xp can't see is being used for something vga card related. Just take the bad stick out and run 3gb. You won't get dual channel, but 3gb is still better, and will run almost as fast. RMA the bad stick.