Memtest errors

mrbunny

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Hello,
I built a new computer yesterday!
But it blue screens already...
I was playing minecraft and got a BSOD, and only got the chance to read IRQL_IS_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL. This happened twice so I ran Memtest (the one that runs in the OS). I registered two errors within 10 minutes, with two different sectors or nodes for each error.

System-
Windows 7 64
AMD phenom x4 deneb 3.5ghz
g-skill 2x4gb ddr3 1600 running in 1330 *it is low voltage ram, designed to run at 1.25v
30gb ssd
1tb hdd
radeon 4850
680w apevia ps
pci soundcard

All is running at stock speeds.
What causes a memtest error? could it be the ram running in the wrong clock speed or voltage? or could it be a bad psu, mobo, connection....
I can get more specific details if needed

Solution
Your ht link doesn't need to be changed, just the ram voltage. If it still won't run, try just one stick again. If it won't post, send the ram back or sell it on craigslist.

beenthere

Distinguished
It should run @ 1.5v even though it is designed to run with only 1.25v. The issue may be that it's validated for Intel and not AMD systems?

I'd test one DIMM at a time using Memtest86+ run from a floppy, CD or flash drive to see if one of the DIMMs is bad.

mrbunny

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Is that something that I need to verify in the future? I will change the voltage and get back with the results. I can play rage maxed with the custom config files with no crashes or BSOD's :/

mrbunny

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I just noticed that my bios and cpu-z say that my timings are 9-9-9-28 as opposed to 9-9-9-24. Can this cause errors? I could be misunderstanding the readings but it seems to be in 9-9-9-28.
Edit- I checked and it is indeed running in 9-9-9-28 timing. Is this the source of my problems? my manual is useless as is the manufactuer's website. How do you adjust the timings?
I found how to change it to 9-9-9-24, but that did not fix anything. I can easily get 5 errors by running four copies of memtest (like it suggests) in under 10 minutes. Does anyone know where I can find a specific list of all my timings? Once again the website is useless. The next one after tRAS is tRC which is running at 37 clocks. does that sound right?
BTW I cannot figure out how to change my DRAM voltage settings. They are greyed out.
Thanks!
PS-it would seem to have to be bad components to be able to produce that many errors in such a short time. What can cause errors in memtest? just the ram or can other parts be resonsible too? why can I run rage but not minecraft? (lol) I plan on running memtest86 from a flash drive all night so ill have that to go on as well

mrbunny

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Because it was a shellshcoker deal on newgg :p
I changed some settings in the msi control panel, namely dram voltage 1.5v, speed 1600 mhz, and the timings to stock. What is ht link speed? this was set to 2000mhz by default.

mrbunny

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
or sell it on craigslist
:D
Ok, I will do everything I can to change the voltage. Maybe uninstalling MSI control panel would help, as it was running messed up settings by default (although im not sure if they take effect while its not running)
Thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS