[SOLVED] Memtest fails RAM

borgward_33

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
ASUS A7N8X-X 32bit mobo. Athlon XP 3200+ 32bit CPU. All jumpers on the mobo are set to default. 3 sticks of Crucial 198 MHz (DDR-397) I had been having problems with unstability. While loading Linux Mint Mate 18.1, and 17.1 (both 32bit) the computer would restart in the middle of the install. I eliminated everything except CPU, RAM, video card and optical drive. Ran memtest 86+ 5.01. Immediately got fail with 3 sticks installed. I then tested each stick by itself. No failure. I then tried 1 stick in one slot, until I tested all three slots. All passed. I next tested 2 sticks, one in #1 Slot, one in #2 slot. that passed. I next tested 1 stick in #1 and 1 in #3. That failed. Placed one stick in #3 - pass. 1 stick in #2 and 1 in #3 - fail. Looks like anytime I combine slot #3 with any other slot or slots I get failure.

I have the ASUS User Guide. Says 3 1GB sticks should work. RAM is running in single channel mode

Solution
Ram must be matched in a single kit.
It is unlikely that your 3 sticks are from the same kit.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
amd in particular is tightly dependent on ram.
Sometimes, disparate sticks will work, but in your case obviously not.

My only suggestion is to go into the bios and increase the ram voltage a bit above standard.

Ram must be matched in a single kit.
It is unlikely that your 3 sticks are from the same kit.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
amd in particular is tightly dependent on ram.
Sometimes, disparate sticks will work, but in your case obviously not.

My only suggestion is to go into the bios and increase the ram voltage a bit above standard.

Solution