Memtest86, 32GB RAM - How long should it take?

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Long story short: I did a clean install of Windows 10 and have been having nothing but issues. Drives not connecting, long lists of corrupted system files(sfc but not with dsim), driver software not working properly, programs not loading, and so on. After the 4th clean install (using combinations of different flash drives (tried 2 different drives) and images provided by the Media Creation Tool(used both .iso and Rufus and creating one with Microsoft's tool)) still had issues, I decided to start testing my hardware. The SSD the OS is installed on seems to be fine according to Crucial Storage Executive and, after a firmware update, I started testing the RAM with memtest86. It's just about 17 hours in and I'm 91% on pass 1 of 4. Is it supposed to take this long? I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere else.

In case anyone is curious, the RAM is Corsair Vengeance and I've tweaked my Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard BIOS to match the settings given by Corsair, rather than the motherboard defaults (this was done ages ago). My next step is also to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic, since I've read some users have success with it. I'd just like to get to the next step some time before the heat death of the universe.

Also, if anyone would like to recommend steps, should the memtest come back clean, I would welcome it.

Thanks

Solution
I'd check and make sure you have the latest BIOS, mobo and GPU drivers....and Memtest can well take forever, also you should test by the individual stick not a group of sticks, running multiple sticks can cause errors.