Question Memtest86 error to identify

Oct 8, 2021
Hi everyone,
I am having trouble installing a game on my Alienware 17R5 and read somewhere that it may be due to some hardware errors.

I ran a Windows memory diagnostic, it indeed found a hardware issue.

I ran a Memtest86 test and did found about a 100 errors.
The report on the Memtest86 page is showing :

Test 5, Pass 0, Failing adress 0042a00d1d8 17056.8MB, Good 7f7f7f7f, Bad 6f7f7f7f, Err-bits 10000000, Count 1, CPU 0,

From here, can anyone tell me what I should do because this report doesn't give me any information I am able to understand or analyze.

I thank you very much for your help.

Hi everyone,
I am having trouble installing a game on my Alienware 17R5 and read somewhere that it may be due to some hardware errors.

I ran a Windows memory diagnostic, it indeed found a hardware issue.

I ran a Memtest86 test and did found about a 100 errors.
The report on the Memtest86 page is showing :

Test 5, Pass 0, Failing adress 0042a00d1d8 17056.8MB, Good 7f7f7f7f, Bad 6f7f7f7f, Err-bits 10000000, Count 1, CPU 0,

From here, can anyone tell me what I should do because this report doesn't give me any information I am able to understand or analyze.

I thank you very much for your help.
Memory errors can be due to RAM itself, Memory slot or IMC (Internal Memory Controller) in the CPU. Best way to find out is to try with known good and compatible RAM in each slot.

Did the Memtest86 removing my Ram, one by one and came to the conclusion that one module is faulty. No more error when I remove it... Time to buy a new one then. Thanks
CountMike for your contribution which lead me to the solution.
Best of bad outcomes but don't change only faulty one, put a claim on warranty (if possible), if returning send both/all and change them as a set.

Oct 8, 2021
Best of bad outcomes but don't change only faulty one, put a claim on warranty (if possible), if returning send both/all and change them as a set.
Thanks for your reply. No more warranty on this laptop unfortunately. I will take this opportunity to upgrade my RAM from 2x8GB to 2x16GB so I will change both.

Reactions: CountMike

TRENDING THREADS