StarKiller84

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
Hello,

For the past while I have been getting bluescreens with "memory_management" and "system_thread_exception_not_handled" errors.
On top of this while using the computer apps would randomly crash or close sometimes without any errors and then minutes later it would bluescreen.
I did test with memtest86 today and got this result:
View: https://imgur.com/a/SdXelFK

Clearly there are some issues but i'm a little confused if this is the CPU cache or the RAM as the errors on the bottom end in "CPU: 11"
Also for clarification during the test I had 2 8gb sticks running at a slightly boosted speed of 2933mhz, not the xmp profile though.
Here is a full spec list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6xNjD2
Thanks!

Solution
Try either stock clocks and/or one module at a time to narrow it down--something is broken unfortunately.

The cpu 11 is indicating what cpu ran into the issue. This can be important for tracking down memory slot errors as it will always end up erroring here no matter what the condition of the module is. Something to watch for sure.
Try either stock clocks and/or one module at a time to narrow it down--something is broken unfortunately.

The cpu 11 is indicating what cpu ran into the issue. This can be important for tracking down memory slot errors as it will always end up erroring here no matter what the condition of the module is. Something to watch for sure.

Solution

StarKiller84

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
I just went into my bios to set my ram back to default speeds and found it was already set. Either I set it back a few months ago and don't remember or something changed it back automatically, which I don't believe is possible. Either way those tests were done on default speeds I guess.
I will try to do one stick at a time as soon as I get a chance but does this mean that at least 1 stick is for sure broken? If that's the case i'll buy 2 new sticks anyway even if only 1 is broken to keep dual channel support.
Also i've heard from other posts that it could be the motherboard, do you think this could be the case?

kanewolf

Titan
Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
I just went into my bios to set my ram back to default speeds and found it was already set. Either I set it back a few months ago and don't remember or something changed it back automatically, which I don't believe is possible. Either way those tests were done on default speeds I guess.
I will try to do one stick at a time as soon as I get a chance but does this mean that at least 1 stick is for sure broken? If that's the case i'll buy 2 new sticks anyway even if only 1 is broken to keep dual channel support.
Also i've heard from other posts that it could be the motherboard, do you think this could be the case?
The picture you posted shows the ram running at 3000Mhz. Are you SURE you are running at default ? That should be 2133 or 2400 ...

StarKiller84

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
The picture you posted shows the ram running at 3000Mhz. Are you SURE you are running at default ? That should be 2133 or 2400 ...
Your testing at too low a DRAM Voltage.
Now i'm more confused, I double checked my bios and this is what it looks like:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Zg1QmiR

I even ran another test after I checked and got the same result but it's still saying 3000mhz on memtest.
View: https://imgur.com/a/111o8ii

StarKiller84

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019

StarKiller84

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
Try that - the one with the 1.35 Volt setting.
That was the XMP settings, I selected it and saved, rebooting the computer.
It started to load into windows and immediately blue screened before I even saw the lock screen.
View: https://imgur.com/a/MxjKOtq

I let it reboot to see if that was a fluke and it immediately blue screened again. So before it booted again I went into the bios and set it back to auto, saved and rebooted and then it said something like "Windows is repairing this PC" and then a few seconds later "Windows could not repair this PC" and my options were shutdown or advanced. I selected shut down, waited a little bit and turned it back on, it seems to be fine now but the XMP did not work at all.

StarKiller84

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019

Hello, sorry for the long delay!

I borrowed a friends RAM replaced it with mine and ran Memtest86 again, no errors this time. I then loaded into windows and did some of the things that would cause it to crash before, no blue screens. This pretty much solidified the fact that it was the RAM for me.

I then went on to test one stick at a time, first stick went 1 pass through Memtest with no errors and I ended it. I then put in only the second stick and immediately got thousands of errors again, so I ended the test. I replaced it with the good stick and now only have the 1 good stick in my computer with the bad one sitting out.

Is it possible to RMA only the 1 bad stick and keep the good one or do I need to send both at once?