Question Memtest86, Should it restart after finishing?

deankenny

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
So I ran memtest last night before going to bed, I kept waking up every hour or so, and there was 0 errors. Then when I finally slept properly and woke again, my computer was at the windows login screen, my partner said she saw it said 4 passes and 0 errors at the last point she saw it. My question is, does memtest do 4 passes then reboot the machine, or am I facing something more sinister here?

Ryzen 2700x
16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz
Asus Strix GTX1080

4745454b

Titan
I find it hard to believe it would run for that long and then come up with so many errors it reboots. To my knowledge it doesn't reboot either. It should hang with an error message about finding a number it shouldn't have? You probably just had a power blip.

Why are you testing the ram? I built a new machine a few months ago and didn't run memtest. I've been using it with no errors. What's happening that you feel the RAM needs to be tested?

Reactions: boju

deankenny

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
ok, guess what, my mrs has literally just said to me she pressed ESC because it told her too, ***K sake lol!!! now i'll have to do it all over again tonight.

I'm doing it because Overwatch started crashing, and BF1, when before could literally play for days on end without a hiccup, however I have tightened the timing of the ram, so want to find out if the ram is bad

4745454b

Titan
Tightened? Above spec? If the ram is rated for 16-16-16-40 and you set it to 15-15-15-35 because you want more speed then I'm not surprised it's not working right. I'd set the ram to whatever it's rated for. See if the crashing stops. My new system doesn't have any issues, though I set the ram to the XMP and left it alone.

deankenny

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
I used the Ryzen memory overclocking tool (Ryzen Dram Calculator 1.6.2) which alot of people have had success with, and out of games, my computer is solid, all the benchmarks are good, all the stress tests are good, which is why I'm trying to single stuff out, as it may just be dodgy graphics drivers which I need to DDU.

lynx1021

Distinguished
I always recommend to run Memtest overnight and it will still be running when you get up. If you show 1 error it needs to be pinpointed and replaced. I always test new ram, I have received new ram where 1 stick was bad before so I always test before using.